mart

A/N: i never realized this but italics don't show up with all fonts and they're kinda vital here so make sure they're supported with your font choice!!

~~~

He's back.
    Holy hells. Fuck. Holy fucking hells.
    That's all I'm thinking right now.
    That and I can't possibly see him now. Not ever, not anymore. It's taken so long to get over his memory, I don't think I can handle actually seeing him, hearing him, touching—
    No. Shut up right now.
    I haven't left the house this morning like I usually would. I haven't dared gone to the market, to the ocean, because part of me thinks I'll just end up drifting off to find him.
    My body is not nearly as rational as my mind. Though when it comes to him, I can't count on any part of me to be rational. It's the one time I trust him more than me. No, trusted.
    Mama and Nila have noticed my behavior—sneaking down the stairs, checking behind doors as if he'll pop out like a toy clown. If it were up to them, we'd be at the door of the Mangete's by now, welcoming them back their son, their brother, their godsdamn leader. Luckily we've managed to stay too busy to leave. I couldn't ever tell them why I didn't want to go.
    They didn't know what happened between us.
   Rivals... friends... lovers—who would have thought? All during a time where the Mantege's and the Kamyan's were enemies. And now, of all times, they'd decided to end the feud.  After the damn spectacle that ended everything between me and him.
    It's torture wondering if our families were friends the way they were now, would we have ended differently? Not in glares and blood, but in peace?
    Or maybe we wouldn't have ended at all.
    It's too painful to wonder that sort of stuff now. When I know we'll never be what we once were, for the better.
    Mama asked me this morning, "How long has it been since we saw him?"
    I had simply shrugged, "I don't remember."
    Really I knew the number of days since I'd watched him leave on the train station, me bundled in a large coat behind a crowd of people so he couldn't see me. I watched him leave, felt my heart crack again, like a glass vase I let him shatter and shatter without end.
    I feel like shattering something now, with all these ugly, mangled, thoughts filling my head. Thinking of him hurts so much, I can't imagine how bad it will be if I run into him.
    Nila bounces into my room with a smile so bright it hurts just to see it, "We're going out!"
    "Have fun," I mutter, staring at my sheets that somehow still remind me of him. We lay here once, when everyone else was out, we lay here as if we were the only ones the sun had to shine on, the moon had to comfort.
    Nila rips the sheets off and I feel physically torn. Rip, rip, rip—torn apart like a piece of paper.
    How were the strongest of the land so fragile? Why did you make me so delicate?
    "You're coming too, Rana!" She pulls my hand and I pull away, feeling guilty almost instantly.
    But I can't think of going out—not at a time like this when he's consumed every inch of me again. He's not here but he's everywhere. I feel his lips on my shoulder, the graze of his teeth as he smiles, the brush of his fingers on my neck, rough skin with a gentle touch, I feel, I feel, and I can not stop. I can not get rid of him. And gods, does it hurt.
    I don't think I can stay in a place where his scent still lingers, where I might turn a corner and see his face pop up in that heartstoppingly gorgeous way. The twitch of his fingers as he fights touching me in front of our families, even the glare of his eyes that never stop looking like molten honey.
    When we ended, he left.
    I think it might be me leaving now.
    "Where are we going?" I ask Nila, aimlessly braiding a strand of her blonde hair.
    "Lunch at Momo's," she groans excitedly.
    I drool instantly—I can't not, it's Momo's after all.
    "Okay... let's go," I say, not being able to resist the idea of the spicy, buttery goodness only Momo's can create.
    I can only pray I don't run into him.
    Momo's will be worth it, I tell myself as I let Nila pull me off the bed.