library

My finger flitted across the long line of books seated uniformly on the shelves. I brushed through the spines, glimpsing titles but not really reading them. 

It didn't matter to me which book I found, I was just looking for something fresh and surprising. I stopped striding through the shelves. My finger resting on a thick brown book. The title was engraved in a small gold font and I leaned closer to see it better. 

"It says A Heart of Copper," a rough voice said from behind me. 

I gasped quietly, jumping and turning around in surprise.

Brilliant blue eyes looked down at me, gleaming excitedly. My eyes narrowed at the sight of the well-dressed noblemen leaning inappropriately against the shelves behind me. 

I gathered my dress in my hands and stepped away from the foreign man. Ever since his travels to the court he'd been incessant on following me around, pestering me endlessly. 

I forced the frown on my face to disappear, the High Ladies of the Court would definitely not approve. I was to act proper no matter what. 

Though it was rather unfair how this man could behave so immaturely but be in their good graces no matter what. They were unaware of his mischievous behaviors, he acted all professional in Court, but it seemed every time I ran into him he turned into a young child with no care for modesty or decency. 

It made matters worse that he was so handsome and charming to everyone around him. He'd managed to woo the High Ladies. It seemed I was the only one aware of his hidden behaviors. Though I was sure no one would listen to me no matter what I said about him. 

"Thank you, sir, but I can read just fine on my own," I said to him, leaving the book in its spot. Now that he'd spoken of it, it almost seemed like punishment to pick it up and read it. I wanted nothing to do with him. 

"It's quite a good book," he spoke, seeming so carefree, "Though I must say, the ending was rather disappointing."

Something about his demeanor and talk was always so confounding. I knew the man came as an ambassador for another country, but he seemed more like the wild villagers I saw roaming the streets. The scruffy coats and wigs never seemed to suit him. His current attire did, though. And I couldn't stop myself from admiring his tall frame. The scarf around his neck hung loose, the buttons of his shirt unbuttoned, his pants very casual. 

So different from what I was forced to wear all day long. Suffocating corsets and trailing dresses I always managed to trip over. Sometimes I wished to be like the villagers, maybe even like him. Free, loose, untangled from the burdens and duties of the Court. 

"Thank you for the opinion," I stated, forcing myself to remain calm and polite, "Is there something you needed from me?"

He stepped closer, and I looked upwards to gaze at him in confusion. "Is this how you are all the time... m'lady?"

As always, he seemed to ignore me. Never answering my questions or paying any heed to my words. Simply carrying through the conversation as if he were conversing with his own thoughts. 

I frowned at his mocking use of 'm'lady'. Couldn't he pay me any respect? And I also didn't know what he meant. Most conversations with him left me like this. Confused, irritated, vexed. 

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that."

He studied me carefully, and I wanted to look away from the intensity of his gaze, but I forced myself to meet his eyes. I wouldn't back down from him. 

"Every time I look at you," he spoke, eyes searching my face for something - though I had no idea what, "I'm not sure what to think."

I let out an airy little laugh, "I can say the same for you, Sir."

"Please don't call me that," sounding slightly disgusted, "I really don't need a title. Especially Sir."

I wondered why it bothered him so much. I wanted to remove myself from the conversation, but curiosity got the better of me, as it seemed to be doing more and more in the recent. 

"What confuses you about me?" I asked, this time omitting the Sir. 

"You always look so... regal in the court. So commanding, so in place," he murmured, "But every other time I see you throughout the palace, or the gardens, you look miserable. What confuses me, m'lady, is which part of you is the real one."

I drew back slightly at his analysis. Or rather, the truths he'd spoken in them. I really didn't know how a stranger like him had seen I was miserable. It had been years since I'd gotten sick of the Court and none of the other High Ladies had seemed to have noticed. 

"I really think you shouldn't speak of things you know nothing about," I said stiffly, uncomfortable with him. 

He grinned, a reaction I was most definitely not expecting. "Do you think you belong here?" he asked.

"Yes," I answered immediately. 

Though I really didn't feel that way. I longed to go outside, to meet with the people, to feel free and burdenless, but he didn't need to know of it. My foolish dreams were for me to have, not for others to discuss. 

He shrugged, "Well I do not."

"Excuse me?" I asked indignantly. It was getting harder and harder to keep my temper and not yell at the disrespectful man before me. 

He was extremely close as he whispered to me, and I couldn't help but glance around the shelves to make sure no one saw this sight and thought it were something to gossip.

"I think you are beautiful enough to be a High Lady, I think you are clever enough, but I do not think you are boring enough."

I gasped loudly in horror at him, at the disrespect he'd shown towards the High Ladies.

"Might I remind you, Sir, that you are a guest here!" I was fuming with anger now, "And if you happen to think the High Ladies boring then I suggest you depart from our Court."

It seemed whatever one might say to this man, he never got angry. A wild grin still remained on his face. 

"You look much more exciting when you're angry," he winked at me. 

The horror increased tenfold and suddenly I wanted the library and this man to disappear. I didn't care if it was rude, I turned to leave the ambassador.

Instead, I felt him grab my wrist and pull me back. An unladylike sound of surprise and fear left me as I tumbled over the end of my dress and into his arms. 

He caught me with a chuckle and I pulled myself away from his arms in an instant. I didn't like how much his words had stuck with me. How much I agreed with him. I'd never admit it out loud, but I did think the High Ladies were boring. I did hate the Court. 

I fixed myself up, patting down the wild hair and fixing the skirts. 

"I know I've overstepped quite a bit tonight, but I do know what I'm saying," he spoke. 

I looked up from my dress to meet his eyes and found sincerity in them. 

"You don't belong here, and you don't have to," he said urgently like he was trying to convince me, "Leave the Court."

I lied to him again, "I'm fine here, thank you." Who was he to tell me what to do?

He sighed, "Alright, then. At least read A Heart of Copper. It reminds me of you. A trapped girl who doesn't know if she should follow her dreams."

My nostrils flared at his implications. 

"Though I do hope your story ends differently from hers," he said quietly, and with a quick nod, he bid goodbye and left the library, leaving me standing incredibly angry.

I stood there for several seconds, thinking about the conversation I'd just had with him. I no longer wanted to stay in the library, but I didn't want to go back to the Court.

I would go to the gardens, I decided. There I could find some peace and fresh air. 

I picked up my skirts and left, but not before grabbing the thick brown book with the small gold title.