get to know you

"Take my hand!" he hissed quietly under his breath.

I looked at him in disgust, still sending smiles at the onlookers. "Why the hell would I do that?"

He looked down at me, white teeth glimmering with his perfect - incredibly fake - smile. "Because, love," he gritted out, "we're dating."

I wanted to throw up. 

His arm was placed on my back, our sides pressed together, and everywhere I looked I saw the same thing. People admiring us.

Him. Me. Together.

Us.

The guards led us towards the back gate, away from the public eyes that sought after our faces like magnets. They left us in the small dressing room, letting the door shut with a thud

I finally let out a breath. 

"Oh, thank God!" I exclaimed, pacing around the room as I undressed. I tore off my gloves in an instant, tossing them carelessly at him. My heels and train came off, along with the heavy pearly coat.

He looked at me in amusement and I paused pacing. "What?"

"You're quite the princess," he smirked.

I glared at him. "I am in this mess because of you!" I snapped, poking his chest, "Idiot!"

"Royal idiot," he corrected.

I wanted to throttle him, but I clenched my fists and looked away. Murdering the Prince wasn't exactly a reputation booster. I needed to get out of this dress first, though.

I tugged on the lace corset. "Come on..." I begged it, pulling it awkwardly. 

I was going to pull a muscle like this. 

His hands pulled mine away from the ribbon. "Let me," he spoke. 

I would have pulled away instantly, but his voice made me startle. I glanced up at him, taking in the serious face and concentrated look I had seen so rarely on him. 

Hesitantly, I turned around and watched him in the mirror. His brown brows furrowed as he pulled on the ribbon lacing the corset together. I relaxed as my ribcage was released from the trap. 

"Better?" he asked, eyes glancing at me from the mirror. I nodded gratefully as he stepped away.

"Thank you," I conceded to him, being polite for the very first time. I let the corset fall away and pulled on the heavy skirts of my dress, hopping around the room in the process.

Finally, I was free of the unbearably thick and tight dress, left in the thin gown it had all been placed upon. This was what you were supposed to wear in summers, not the giant dresses the palace thought would be appropriate. 

I sat on the chair, letting out a sigh of relief. My eyes shut as I lay back, feeling finally at peace. And then I realized he had been silent for the whole time I was making a fool of myself taking off the skirts. 

I opened my eyes and looked up at him, who was lost in thought. 

"Are you okay?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He blinked, nodding slowly, looking completely dazed.

It wasn't my job anymore, but I couldn't help the instincts. I snapped up, standing right before him. "Is it the heat? The food? Could someone have poisoned you while we walked past - I think I've just read -"

He placed his hand over my mouth, making me choke in surprise. I blinked up at him. 

"I'm fine," he said dramatically. 

I bit him.

"Hey!" he scowled, whipping his hand away. 

I smiled sarcastically. 

"You sure know how to ruin a moment," he muttered.

"What?" I asked, not sure I heard him right.

He turned slightly red, "Noth-"

"Is the prince blushing?" I asked innocently.

"No," he glared.

I leaned in closer, trying to inspect his cheeks, but he kept moving away.

Finally, I grabbed his cheeks in my hand and squished them so he wouldn't mood. I pretended to inspect their color, my eyes squinted and brows furrowed. I looked into him with a grin, "Yup. Definitely blushing."

He pulled my hands away from his cheeks but didn't let them go. A small smile stuck on his lips as he shook his head lightly. 

"What?" I frowned.

He sighed, looking at me curiously, "You get more and more surprising each day."

"Surprising how?"

He shrugged, "You're not like any of the other guards, that's for sure."

I raised my eyebrows in challenge, plopping into the sofa he'd been sitting in earlier, "And you would know how the guards behave how?"

He wasn't wrong, I was more comfortable with them than other guards were, but that was only because I knew I could. After he'd messed up with saying my name in the public announcement, I'd been forced to leave my post as a palace guard and act as if I were in love with him instead. I pushed it sometimes with him, but he needed me. 

His face lost any sign of humor, almost looking dejected as he sat down next to me, looking regal as ever. I frowned, leaning towards him, about to ask if he was okay again.

He faced me with solemn eyes and a wry smile, a look I'd never seen upon his face. He'd never looked so weak. "I guess you're right, though I'd like to think I try to know my guards."

Pity filled me instantly, but I shoved it away. I knew it wasn't what he wanted, especially from me. I looked away from him, pulling my knees into my chest, "You're not a bad prince," I murmured.

This time he laughed, though I could hear the darkness in it, "Anyone looks like a saint next to my father."

I winced as he brought up the Emperor. For the first time since he'd told me we were dating, I was at a loss for words. I didn't know how to convince him -- I didn't know why I wanted to convince him. 

Timider than I had ever been, I placed a hand on his knee. His questioning eyes swerved to me instantly. I took in a breath, "I know everything about you, Prince, but I do not know you."

I looked into his blue eyes, not even in control of my own words anymore, "I do not understand you... but I think I'd like to try."

I wanted to slap myself and run out of the room, but I stayed, more nervous than I had ever been, awaiting his response.

He looked at me for a second longer, before cracking one of those boyish smiles I hated so much, "You think? Are you not sure? Make up your mind and then let me know."

Now I wanted to slap him. 

"I'm sure," I glared, though I was really rethinking my decision now. 

"Good," he grinned, leaning close to me, "And please, for the love of god, put something on?"

He stood from the sofa and walked into the private room, leaving me to look down at myself and see the thin strap of the pink gown far down my shoulder. I squealed aloud and covered myself up, hearing the Prince's booming laughter through the walls. 

As mad as I was at him, I was mostly feeling embarrassed. Did I really expect him to open up? For this to be anything more than a political arrangement for him?

God, was I stupid, even stupider than him. 

I think I'm going to give this a part two. And maybe some of my other scenes as well because I just love them so much.