flash . felix

------------------------------------------------
genre: sci-fi, fantasy au 
word count: 3.3k 
a/n: probably a final post before yet another hiatus, enjoy! 
-------------------------------------------------

"Come on, y/n!" Felix grabs my wrist and pulls me harshly into a dark corner. I gasp, my back slamming against a wall as my partner traps me with both hands, shielding me as the enemy zooms past the space station in their shiny silver space-bikes.

The year is 2503, and Earth as we know it has been evacuated, most people choosing to live in the high-tech modern space stations now littered throughout our solar system. Felix and I are currently on Iyllea, spies on a mission to uncover the truth about the explosion in the neighbouring (now demolished) station.

The greasy neon lights of the enemy's space-bikes flicker across the corridor, almost exposing our hiding spot. Felix does not take his eyes off mine, and I stare back in them - russet brown and twinkling with the very stars that light up our galaxy. His gaze is glossed with fear, but underneath the anticipation I see a hint of a mischievous smile, and my heart flutters.

After all these years, you haven't lost your hunger for adventure, have you Lix?

Finally, darkness and quiet returns, and we both release a breath. The air in space has a nice, clean kind of taste, the smell of helium and other gases. Over the decades, humans have evolved and grown accustomed to the milky way's climate, the freezing temperatures and low pressure.

I don't think I even feel cold here now. Not when Felix's face is barely an inch away from mine.

But he pulls away like nothing happened, ruffling his own dirty blonde hair. He has grown it out recently, no longer the short-haired playful boy I have known since my sweet sixteen. I like him like this, I decide.

"Chan should be here already, what's taking him so long?" Felix mumbles, peeking his head out the door opening to the midnight black sky.

I step out of the corner, tapping twice on the transparent earpiece plugged into my right ear. "Nothing. Perhaps we need to go to the other exit? They may have seen the troops patrolling over-"

"Shh, y/n, stop talking."

I halt, and we are plunged momentarily into silence. Felix furrows his eyebrows and takes a subconscious step protectively towards me, a habit he had developed over the years of training as my battle partner. I don't hear it at first, but then it gets louder, and louder, and louder. A high-pitched scratching sound, that sounds like an amplified version of a burning wick and metal on metal. The peculiar noise is coming closer to the space station - causing us to plug our ears before our eardrums start to bleed.

The space station then starts flashing red, a signal that danger is imminent. I panic, instinctively groping around in the dark for Felix's hand. He reaches out, and our fingers brush, warmth spreading through me once again. Through the flashing lights, I see his alarmed expression, every 1.5 seconds that the red glow illuminates his face, every moment the noise gets closer and more unbearable.

He is shouting now, though I cannot hear his unintelligible words. Flash. Felix is pointing toward the door. At something outside. Flash. I am being pulled away, towards the second exit. Flash. I see it - a giant asteroid hurtling toward us, unnatural and killer, a man-made weapon. Flash. I turn and run with Felix, our steps irregular, haphazard. Flash. I see his hand in mine, our fingers interlaced. The asteroid is near us, the panic is overwhelming...

Flash.

It is not the anxious flashing of red lights. It is the blinding flash of a camera. I stand in a puffy cameo pink dress, its corset, its lace, its embellishments - suffocating. A stiff smile is plastered on my made-up face, and I wave at the reporters, the eccentric paparazzis who snap and smirk at every movement I make. My parents look like they are having the time of their lives, the researchers who opened the 7th habitable space station, saving another million.