Introductions(Lucigast)

Lucien kept his eyes on Beauregard and Caleb at the entrance of the room.

"Sorry we're late," Beau said with a bored tone. Her attitude in full swing.

"I'll say you're quite quick in some ways. I'm impressed," Lucien held his head high.

"How long have you been here setting up the party by yourself?" Beau asked, but this time her question was directed at Cree who was actively working to get the portal ready.

Cree glanced over her shoulder and grumbled something Lucien ignored, "Not terribly long, maybe about a better part of an hour."

"Oh yeah, we actually did make pretty good time," Beau nodded proudly, glancing at Caleb next to her.

"But we had to set up some precautions, since you tend to follow and nip at our heels, and well, you taught us a few tricks along the way."

"Isn't this the part where you kick back and tell us all your clever plans?" Caleb spoke up then, his own head held high.

Lucien smiled, "Sure, step in a bit."

His smile widened as the wizard did as he said.

"I've not been a poor host. I lent you my personal reading. And taking what I was owed, I borrowed a few things with intent to return them, though some of these pretties intrigue me," He ran his hands together and a small glowing yellow orb apparated from them. He grinned at the tension in the party before letting the orb disappear.

"We defended ourselves when assailed and even then, I invited you to come see what we've been working on. Letting bygones be what the are and still, you treat us with such animosity. Shame. Manners are important and the last thing to go when an age runs dry. I do still very much want to show you what I've been working on, but I feel like you've shown me how hard it can be to trust. So, I need you to earn it."

Cree grumbled again, "Why don't we just kill them, Lucien? Stop the games."

Lucien put his hand up, not looking away from Caleb, "Shh. Because try as I might, a part of me still likes them."

Suddenly Beau's voice sounded in his head, "You should listen to the woman." His brain tingled, causing him to twitch involuntarily.

He turned his smile to Beau and let out a breath, cracking his fingers. He would not let them get to him.

"Well, tell us more, circus man," Caleb piped in, a sincerity to his tone that Lucien couldn't be sure was genuine.

He felt a tug at the back of his neck causing him to twitch once again. He frowned in confusion. Something about that phrase...

He shook his head and smiled, "First, I think introductions are in order," his eyes landed on the drow at the back of the group.

"You must be Essek," Lucien's grin curled into almost a sneer.

Essek's eyes darted to Caleb as if for help.

"He is of no concern to you," Caleb's tone was harsh, defensive.

"If he's with all of you, then he's very much my concern," Lucien's glare was set on the drow.

"All you need to know is that he's one of us. Something you'll never be," Caleb's tone was still sharp.

Lucien's eyes pulled from the drow and landed on Caleb. The sneer turned into a genuine smile once again, "Oh, but aren't I? Isn't it my face that adorns the walls of your tower? Isn't it I that you chase mercilessly?"

Caleb tensed but kept his voice even, "It's not you we are chasing."

Jealousy boiled in Lucien. "How many times do I have to tell you he's gone," he snapped. His eyes landed back on Essek then, "And how do you feel about chasing a ghost? Surely you know it won't end well for you. You'll either end up dead or watching your precious wizard join me."

"Join you where?" Beau could see Caleb was about to lose his cool. The way his hands clenched; he was holding back a fire spell.

Lucien turned to Beau, "Long ago, there was a group of people who had an idea to get away from oppressive minds and pursue their dreams. And when destruction came, not of their making, they were ready, or so they thought, as they shunted their people across the planes to safety, in the astral plane where they knew they could make their dreams a reality. Unfortunately, what they didn't account for was this terrible psychic storm that awaited them, that racked every mind and spirit and shattered them until they became one with their own city. Death would have been a sweet mercy, but instead, thousands of people and the Somnovem that guided them, were broken. And over time, slowly reformed, powerful. The instinct of their dreams driving them in a place where they could will their dreams to be, were their will not so fragmented. They needed help. But it was hard to push through the hunger. For now, the city was alive and things that live need to eat. I was lucky to be a mind free, one to speak to it and there's so much that they could do, but they just lack the guidance. It's a waste of potential. But I think I can show them. And maybe if you decide to be more friend than foe, when all is done, I could make your dreams come true as well."

He turned to Cree to see she was almost done. He gave her a nod. Cree returned the nod before lifting a lever upwards slightly.

The thin sliver of the portal in the middle of the room widened a bit like a tear in space, allowing water to pour through in a torrent.

"This door can go many places," Lucien spoke up as Cree switched out the rod with another.

"Assuming you want us to go on a field trip?" Beau asked as the water rushed towards her.

"Well, I'm certainly going on one. It's a shame to work so hard, and, I don't know, not to have anyone who really understands it, who's right there to see it. But I've seen potential in at least a couple of you," His eyes bounced between Beau and Caleb, "You're already walking the right path."

Caleb frowned, "And you plan to go and stay there or bring something back and make this world better than how you found it?"

Lucien fought against the tingle at the back of his neck that surfaced once again, "Yes," he answered simply.

This time the pink cow man spoke, "And you want us to be an audience?"

"Well, I'd love an audience, but I'd like you all to earn your ticket. Come join the show."

"Maybe you should take your bodyguard," Beau gestured towards Yasha who stood with a concerned scowl on her face.

The tingling at the back of his neck prickled again, but Lucien shoved it down, "The other side perhaps," he gave a bow tossing a wink at Caleb.

When he stood, he pulled the lever up with him causing the portal to now be filled with a starscape of purples and silvers. In the distance was a city with hundreds of towers, arches and bridges.

"Well, I think it's time you paid the ticket taker," Lucien grinned before grabbing his satchel and leaping through the portal. He and Cree were now floating through the large expanse. He swiveled around and blew at kiss towards Caleb before giving a wave to the rest and rocketing off towards the city. He knew they'd catch up. But he needed just a little bit of a head start. 

*AN*
Alternate conversation of episode 136.