Keep him safe(Doriax)

Dorian stared into the dark jungle that surrounded their campsite, trying to find sleep once again, but the image of Dariax leaning over him with terror-stricken eyes and a nervous lilt wouldn't leave his mind.

The dwarf was leaning against his back, warm and solid. He knew the crown wasn't near him, but the reminder of its sway made him shiver. The crown was bad news and even the once unbothered Dariax was being taunted with it in his dreams.

Dorian wanted so badly to turn over and pull the dwarf in closer to him, promise to keep him safe, but he refrained. He didn't even know if he could keep him safe.

A cold shiver ran down Dorian's spine at the thought of what could happen to Dariax. He forced the thought away and focused, instead, on the steady breathing of the man pressed up against him.

When Dorian woke, he was alone. There was nothing but darkness around him.

"You can protect him you know," A voice low and sultry spoke from seemingly nowhere.

Dorian looked for the voice but found nothing, no one; but he felt something, reminiscent of a spider, run down his spine.

"What are you talking about?" He asked into the darkness. He knew who this is, he didn't need to ask.

"You know what I'm talking about," The voice growled out impatiently.

"What do you want?" Dorian demanded from the voice, trying to keep his cool.

"A champion," the voice was gentle again, but Dorian still shivered with discomfort.

"A champion," Dorian repeated as if he were processing the information, trying to make sense of it.

"It's why I picked him," The voice purred, "He's easily swayed."

Dorian grit his teeth at the way her voice dropped into a threating tone.

"You're what he saw in his dream," Dorian hissed. It wasn't posed as a question, but the voice answered anyway.

"Of course I am."

"Why? Why him?" Dorian demanded; his tone almost desperate.

"Like I said, he's easily swayed. Unaffected by my crown. Dumb enough to do it," Her voice dropped again.

"Wouldn't you want someone else? Someone more..." Dorian sent a silent apology to Dariax, "capable?"

"Yes, but I grow impatient. You've carried me around in a bag with spoiled food," She hissed.

"Then why bother with him?" Dorian hoped she would take his bait and leave Dariax alone.

"The human is already...taken. The halfling is incorruptible. The faun is not so easily swayed, I've tried. You won't let me close enough. That only leaves your precious dwarf," the voice giggled, sending another shiver down Dorian's spine.

"What are you coming to me for then?" Dorian was confused as to why her presence was there.

Another giggle, "You might not let me get close, but you let him. You care about him."

Dorian tensed. That was something he barely admitted to himself.

"You want to keep him safe," the voice put on a lilt of concern, as if she were doing Dorian a favor, "I can help you with that."

"In exchange for a champion," Dorian guessed.

"It could be you," She offered sweetly.

"You want me to give myself to you in order to keep Dariax safe?" Dorian licked at his lips anxiously. It was a thought. Dariax would be safe.

"Don't you want to keep him safe?" She asked as if she didn't already know the answer.

Dorian didn't answer. His mind reeled at the possibility.

"Just imagine your sweet precious Dariax with a sinister smile and coal black eyes, looking at you, not the way he usually does, but with malice and hatred."

Suddenly Dariax was in front of him, his normally blue eyes, black as coal. His face shadowed in darkness. His spear was gripped tightly in his ink-colored hand. He looked at Dorian with a sneer.

"Why did you let this happen?" Dariax's tone was sharp.

"Okay," Dorian yelled into the darkness, "I'll give you a champion, but no one in the group."

"Who did you have in mind?" The voice purred.

Dorian stared at Dariax in front of him, unable to look away, "Who do you want?"

"Hmmm, I like Poska," the voice answered thoughtfully.

"Okay, I'll give you Poska, just leave Dariax alone," Dorian hated the desperation in his tone.

"You don't have to find her, she's looking. But remember,, if you don't deliver..." the voice trailed off and Dariax charged towards him, spear pointed directly for him.

"Dariax, no, please!" Dorian shouted as the spear jabbed into his chest.

Dorian bolted up, breathless and grasping at his chest to find nothing there. He glanced around to see everyone asleep except for Dariax, who was watching him with concerned eyes.

"What did I do?" Dariax asked with a worried tone.

"What?" Dorian blinked at the dwarf.

"You yelled at me. You said, 'Dariax, no, please' before waking up," Dariax was frowning at him.

"Oh, nothing... it was...just a dream," Dorian let out a breath, trying to get his heart rate to slow. It was pounding so hard he was sure Dariax would hear.

"You reached for your chest," Dariax leaned forward, placing a hand on Dorian's chest where the spear had pierced in his dream.

"Uh, y-yeah," Dorian wasn't thinking straight enough to lie his way out of this.

"Did I...did I hurt you?" Dariax looked up at him with apologetic blue eyes.

Dorian didn't respond, instead he stared at the blue of Dariax's eyes, memorizing the bright color.

"I would never hurt you, Dorian. You know that, right?" Dariax asked, pulling his hand away from his chest.

Dorian blinked, dropping his eyes to his lap, "Yes, yes, of course," he gave a forced smile, meeting Dariax's eyes again.

Dariax nodded, a smile of his own reaching his lips.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" Dorian asked, worriedly.

"No, I'm taking last watch."

"Good," Dorian gave a nod.

"You know I'd never hurt you. I'm here to protect you," Dariax smiled at Dorian again, "I'll keep you safe."

Dorian gave a weak smile, "Thank you Dariax."

"And I know you'll do the same for me," Dariax beamed as he pulled a skin of water from his side and handed it to Dorian.

Dorian nodded, "Of course." Dariax had no idea the lengths Dorian would go to keep him safe. His stomach rolled at the thought of the deal he'd made. The dwarf had no idea the lengths he'd already gone.