chapter twenty-eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Standing in the dim light of a bar, Nolan held out a glossy print. The photo was taken off of Delaney Robinson's Facebook profile, and he felt like she'd shown it to everyone he came into contact with since he arrived. It drove him crazy, the same routine of asking "have you seen her?" over and over again.

Currently, he was talking to the woman behind the counter as she poured another round of whiskey for a customer a few feet away.

"You know, I think she came here last night," the bartender said. "She didn't say much, but she seemed nice."

"Did she mention anything about where she was headed?" he asked.

The woman shook her head. "Not that I know of. She wasn't feeling social. I let her be. People tip better when you leave them alone."

Nolan pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to remain polite. "Well, thanks for your time."

Everything he chased wound up going nowhere. A few drunks had tried to tell him stories, making up inconsistent details as they went along. None of it was credible, of course, but he listened in case it got him something. It didn't, which was the icing on the cake. It was getting harder to mask his agitation, but he was too persistent to give up. It was one of his best and worst qualities.

He tucked the photo back inside his jacket, locking eyes with Kaytee from across the room. She was talking to someone too, but the man didn't seem like he was paying much attention to what she was saying at all. Nolan could tell the guy was flirting, but it didn't seem like Kaytee noticed.

She shook her head at Nolan. It was a short, small movement that indicated a dead end. Politely, she dismissed herself from the conversation and walked back over to him, her face crestfallen.

"This place isn't known for its regulars," she said, crossing her arms. "Jesus, I really thought we would get something. No one seems to know a damn thing about Delaney. You would think she was never here at all."

"That's probably the point," Nolan remarked. "I mean, she wanted to be undetectable, right?"

"Despite her slip-ups, she's still maintaining her sophistication," Kaytee told him. She glanced down at her phone, perhaps expecting a text from Price.

"Do you think she knows we're onto her?" he asked.

Kaytee shrugged. "It's a hit or miss at this point. She made a large cash withdrawal this morning. It's probably going to be her last transaction for at least a couple of days."

"Dammit," Nolan hissed under his breath.

Kaytee checked her watch before scanning the room once more. "This place is a dead-end and I'm starving. What do you say we grab dinner and head back to the hotel?"

Nolan was reluctant to leave. He found himself rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet, trying to find a reason to stay. He'd hoped something would come of this destination, and he was let down again. It didn't surprise him. They were constantly running into difficulties. It seemed like the team would never catch a break.

"Hey," Kaytee said, squeezing his shoulder. "Don't sweat it. We still have a lot we can do. You can't give up yet."

"I'm not," he said. His voice was tight, his skin alive with energy from her mere touch.

She let go, and he released the breath he'd been holding.

"How about we order a pizza?" she suggested.

"Sure," he replied.

They headed out into the parking lot, and the asphalt glowed from recent rain. It had only sprinkled for a while, but there were still puddles on the ground. Like most things, they wouldn't last for very long. Nolan was trying to enjoy the weather while it was cooler out. Texas was known for its heat, and temperatures like this weren't common.