chapter thirty-two

Chapter Thirty-Two

The funeral parlor was alive with sounds. A flood of family members, classmates, and friends had stuffed themselves in the lobby, waiting to enter the main room for the service. Lexi had been hugged several times, her senses overwhelmed with different perfumes and colognes. She was certain her cheeks had been kissed over and over. She didn't want anyone to touch her, but there was no polite way to fight off the affection.

There was a table full of refreshments, some of them alcoholic. Lexi had downed two mixed drinks already, and the warmth of the booze was keeping her planted. Without it, she would have peeled off her shoes and run right out of the building.

The collar of her black dress scratched at her neck, and it made her horribly uncomfortable. The AC wasn't great at the funeral home, and the thick material was too much. She felt awful, both physically and mentally. Sweat was beading along her lip, and she kept swishing the material of her outfit as if to cool herself down. It wasn't working.

Lexi tapped her fingertips against a half-drunk vodka mixer, her stare straying to the door every few seconds. She was waiting for Nolan to get there and hoped her parents wouldn't notice him. She didn't want them to stress on today of all days, not when emotions were running so high.

Sure enough, Nolan and Kaytee entered a few minutes before the service was due to start. Nolan was in a black suit, his tie matching his jacket perfectly. Kaytee was in a light grey dress under a dark cardigan, her arm threaded through his. Lexi assumed it was an angle to make them more unassuming. If they posed as a couple, toning down their authority, no one would give them a second glance.

Lexi parted from her parents, making her way to a smaller room away from the crowd. Nolan picked up on her intention and met her there, Kaytee in tow.

"Thank you for coming," Lexi said softly. "It means a lot."

"It's no problem," Kaytee replied.

Lexi felt herself swaying ever so slightly, the effect of her drinks numbing her. She surveyed the faces around her, unsure of what she was looking for. She just wanted the event to be over, but it seemed it would be taking much longer than she expected.

Time seemed to drag, especially in her misery.

When she took a step, she stumbled, and Nolan reached for her shoulder and stabilized her.

"Thanks," she said, her face flushed. "I just lost my balance. Excuse me."

Lexi pushed away from the two agents and shut herself in the bathroom. She scooped some water from the sink and washed her face off. The coolness shocked her back into reality, grounding her. A few droplets slid down her cheeks. She studied her face in the mirror and wiped her skin with a paper towel to dry herself.

"You're fine," she said through gritted teeth. "Get it together, Lex."

She was glad she hadn't put makeup on that day. It would be running by now if she had. She was blotchy and pale at the same time. A mess.

Lexi sighed. Pivoting on her heel, she walked toward the door and stepped into the crowded throng of people. They were funneling into the main service hall now, clearing the foyer. Lexi set her glass down, knowing better than to bring the booze in with her. She tried to be classier than that.

A few stragglers remained behind. None of them stood out. At least, at first. It didn't take long for Lexi to be thrown a curveball.

Recognition stopped Lexi in her tracks.

Delaney Robinson was standing by the door, dressed in a black wool dress and a hat that shrouded her face. Her eyes met Lexi's, and the apology was written in them. Under the polished appearance she put out to the world, she looked exhausted, broken, like she was done running.