chapter thirty

Chapter Thirty

The next morning, she woke up to social media posts about Quinton's memorial. The date and time were circulating like a twisted party invitation. It brought a new surge of apologies, and she had to sign off within five minutes to keep herself from throwing up.

Lexi wandered downstairs quietly, wondering if her parents were awake yet. She stopped before she reached the kitchen, listening to her parents' hushed voices as they talked. She knew it was wrong to eavesdrop, but she needed to know what they were keeping from her. They were good at hiding things, and she didn't believe they had changed in the slightest.

"I don't understand why Delaney hasn't come home," her mom said, clearly frustrated. "They think she killed Quinton. I know they do. And she sure as shit isn't making much of a case for herself by vanishing."

Lexi held her breath.

"Maybe we don't know Delaney like we thought," Dad replied. "It's possible they're onto something."

"I don't want to believe we've been living with a murderer!" Mom interjected. "I let her around my kids, and this is how she repays us. Who could kill their own flesh and blood? I can't fathom what would drive her to it."

"We don't know anything for sure, Michelle—"

"Don't we?" Mom countered. "Eric, I'm losing faith in her. How am I supposed to believe she's innocent when she pulls a disappearing stunt?"

Her dad didn't say anything.

"Her phone is turned off," Mom continued. "She turned her goddamn phone off. We need to stay together at a time like this. I don't know what to do without her."

"I can try to call her again," Dad said softly.

"I doubt that will work."

"We can try."

"Fuck trying. Fuck it all."

Lexi heard the sound of a cigarette being lit, followed by a heavy exhale.

"What happened to quitting?" Dad asked.

"I need it," her mother snapped. "If it wasn't so early, I'd have a drink too while I'm at it."

Lexi wasn't used to hearing her mother swear, let alone witnessing her lighting up. Quinton's loss was uncovering all sorts of skeletons in the closet, revealing the truths they all sought to hide. It was as if they were falling into the worst versions of themselves, losing any and all progress. It was ugly. Worse than ugly.

"I don't know what to do about Lexi either. She's been out of control. Between going to Cal's and visiting Dennis, she's only growing more rebellious."

"She's upset," Dad jumped in. "She's going through a lot, and we aren't making it any easier on her."

"You mean I'm not making it easier," Mom corrected.

"I didn't say that."

"You didn't have to."

"Michelle," he said, his voice pleading. "Please don't get into this. The last thing we need is to start fighting. You heard what the counselor said—"

"A good marriage is built on navigating conflict together," Mom finished.

Lexi didn't know they'd even gone to marriage counseling. This was the first time she was learning about it. As far as she'd known until this point, they had a perfect relationship and a perfect family to match.

Another secret. Why was she even surprised?

Her mother changed the subject swiftly. "The funeral home wants a deposit today. Do you mind bringing in the check?"

"What are you doing?"

"I have errands to run," she said dismissively.

"Alright, honey. I'll do it."

"I'm gonna hop in the shower. Will you start breakfast?"

Lexi moved away as quickly as she could before Mom rounded the corner. She ducked into the laundry room next to the stairs, slinking behind the corner to avoid being seen.

She fell into the laundry basket in her rush, knocking a pile of dirty clothes onto the floor.

Groaning, a curse escaped her lips.

She froze when her hands met the crusty material of a short skirt. She saw the blood and dropped it immediately. It took her a moment to realize she was staring at evidence because all of the clothes strewn on the tile were Delaney's, and quite a few of them were coated in blood.

Lexi didn't know what to do, so she shoved it all back in the hamper and left.