Chapter 3- Guardian

I froze in shock for so long, I faded through the ground. I saw... my corpse. It was decaying rapidly, being eaten by flies and my, now empty, eye socket is occupied by a large spider. It must have eaten its way in. I started tearing up at the fact that no one cared that my carcass was still there. "They must have left that up as a warning." I thought, boy I was wrong by a long shot. An exceedingly long shot. I huddled up into a ball as I started crying, half faded through the foot path. Mr. Peggie must have seen me because he came up to me and said that it's OK and that he will let me stay at his place. I politely accepted his invite and we left to go to his place.

It was super fancy yet old fashioned which would make you assume he was in his late 90s. I stood there in shock because he said he used to live there before he passed. I was assuming that he was very wealthy and, not being able to control my mouth, my dumb self asked if as a spirit you stop aging. He didn't look mad all though he DID look as if everyone asks him that question. He calmly replied with "yes. I was born in 1897 but I died at age 26." I stood there in shock. "YOUR 124 YEARS OLD?!?" I stupidly blurted out. I covered my mouth in regret and apologised about 5 times. "OH MY GOD I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY! I-I was just surprised." I said. He laughed and said that it was ok, and that people have said worse to him before, ranging from "pensioner" to "prehistoric". I felt bad for him he's been a spirit for 98 years non-stop. He credited my fast arithmetic due to me intuitively knowing how old he was however I didn't think I was to be given any positive feedback. I unintentionally insulted him, and he brings up my maths skills and praises them?!

After a minute of ominous silence, I finally got the guts to ask why my corpse was still hanging on the garage roof. He just cleared his throat and asked if I wanted a cup of tea. I hesitated for a minute. "I think that you're forgetting the fact that I just met you about an hour ago, and you just avoided my question. I don't know how much I can trust you yet." I said in a painfully honest way. "Well maybe, I can earn your trust this way." he said, in a sincere yet cunning tone of voice. "... I suppose you do have a point there." I replied "Fine. Please can I get a cup tea then?" I asked, confirming that a cup of tea would at least put my mind off the recent events a bit. However, I was weary of what he was putting in my cup. I asked for no sugar with milk but still quite strong and after 5-10 minutes he came back with two hot cups of tea. I was cautious and smelled the molten liquid in the cup to make sure it didn't smell like cinnamon due to me learning that a cinnamon scent covers up traces of poison, not that it really matters because I'm dead already but that's beside the point. Mr Peggie clearly saw what I was doing and was impressed. "You can trust me y'know." I slowly took a small sip out of the cup and to my surprise It was just a plain cup of tea. "I honestly don't know why I still do that trick. I'm dead so it's not like I can die again or anything. That would make no sense. Right?" I laughed. "But... but you can die again." Mr. Peggie replied. I fell silent instantly and, to be honest with you, that genuinely terrified me to think about. "Oh." I said quivering slightly. "However, you can't die of old age, natural causes, or the way you died in your past life. Mr. Peggie specified as reassuringly as he could. And he is VERY reassuring. I calmed down almost immediately.

A few hours passed and me and my new soul guardian, Mr. Peggie were having an enjoyable conversation however he didn't bring up the body until I asked him why it was still there again. He said he didn't want to tell me why, so I kept my mouth shut about the subject. We continued our conversation until three o'clock when we got another cup of tea. Yet again I played It safe and smelled it for any hint of cinnamon. It didn't smell like cinnamon and so I drank it however I did feel calmer than I started off. I felt less scared. Freakishly less scared. As if nothing could scare me anymore. This intrigued me slightly, so I asked why I wasn't nervous anymore. He just chuckled and said that he put a small calming agent in it to calm me down. He did reassure me that it wasn't going to harm me in any way, shape, or form so I felt safe and didn't mind at all. Well. Now that I think about it, I did feel a bit of disbelief when I was told. How did he gain my trust so quickly to the point where I got drugged with a calming supplement? Is he always this manipulative cause he seems to be exceedingly good at tricking the mind beyond comprehension. He just looks so kind and professional though, so I shrugged it off as a fault of mine.

I looked at the clock to see that it was 4:50 in the morning so I decided to turn in for the night, well... day I guess I should say. I got shown my room and I fell asleep within 5 minutes. However, my mind was racing thinking about why my body was still hanging on the roof and I woke up instantly after 27 minutes and 34 seconds of actually resting. I mean... not that it affects me at all... I am more or less use to long nights of staring at the ceiling, unable to sleep whatsoever. Even when I was alive, my thoughts just... keep me up at night... yeah, it's not fun at all. So anyway, I went downstairs, and I was alone. Mr Peggie went to bed when I did so I just sat on a chair and started to write a letter to my parents... well... imagining they could see it. A-anyway I'm spraffing sorry. So, I finished the letter and left it on the table. I sorta wish I was still alive, but I guess that, so far being a spirit is much more peaceful to me.