Chapter 16- Step Brother

This fit of boisterous merriment went on for TEN STRAIGHT MINUTES before Mr. Peggie was finally able to help me snap out of it. My eyes were red and puffy with my head feeling as light as helium. I was extremely dizzy and nauseous. I looked up at Mr. Peggie to see him as white as paper. His eye lit up and started to water. He was able to stop, and he forestalled eye contact. I slowly approached, disregarding the soul clenching pain surging through my transparent body. I gripped his torso and hugged him tightly. He was stone cold, as if he had liquid nitrogen flowing through every vein in his physique. In a desperate attempt to heat him up, I hugged tighter, and it worked. But for some reason, Mr. Peggie seemed to feel worse. “RICA! WHY DID YOU SLIT YOUR JUGULAR VEIN?! YOU’RE BLEEDING OUT!” He exclaimed in horror. “YOU KNOW IF YOU DIE YOU CAN'T COME BACK!” He continued. My mum ran into the house and came out with a long roll of linin bandages. Mr. Peggie wrapped my neck in the linin bandages provided while Charlie started to scream and cry. As they did that, I replied; “I hugged you to keep you warm. I didn’t slit my jugular. What are you talking about?” My voice slowly started to distort. “Jesus Christ, you’re delusional.” Mr. Peggie stated in an annoyed tone but clearly showing concern. As the gushing blood starts to swallow the linin and drown it in the large stream of the crimson fluid, I stand there, twitching while apologising to Mr. Peggie for ruining his suit. He clearly wasn’t worried about that for the time being. “Don't stress about that right now, my child. It will come out... It always does.” That last part seemed suspicious enough as it is disregarding the tone, he said that in. Slightly menacing yet still quivering. “Right now, your safety is my top priority.” He said as reassuringly as he could with a shaky tone. As he applied more linen bandages to my wounded neck, I felt tired, so I loosened my grip and slipped into deep unconsciousness.
After a while, my head went clear like stagnant water slowly purifying and flowing to the direction of the wind. The sense of clarity from being able to comprehend what is happening around me was definitely a pleasant surprise on my behalf. Or, it WAS, for like, a minute or two. By this time, the bleeding has stopped, and the blood has clotted into a large scab on the left side of my neck. The linen was still tied on, and I was too scared of the thought of the scab reopening if I touched it or tried to remove it. Then I remembered everything that happened, and it wasn’t a good flashback to have at all. I saw what everyone, but I saw. The knife rapidly tearing at the flesh on my neck. My mouth starting to salivate heavily as I collapse into Mr. Peggie’s arms. The thin blood pulsing out of my throat. I felt the bandage with the tips of my fingers. As the cotton-like texture creates friction with my fingertip, I remember. I remember... home. I remember... them... but who is “Them” exactly? I ponder while Mr. Peggie walks into the room. He seems relieved that I gained consciousness. He hugged me tightly, and it caught me off guard to say the least. I was both very shocked and very guilty. He seemed reluctant to the idea of ever letting me pass on. Accidentally or intentionally. But something was different. He... He was warm. I grasped onto him as soft tears started to stream down my soft face. “Y-your warm.” I say in a gentle tone. I was happy that he had a regular body temperature as it seemed to me that mood affects his body temperature drastically. “Heh yeah. You scared me quite a bit, my child. I thought you were dead.” He said, gradually getting warmer as he spoke. His tone was no longer shaky like a few hours ago.
However, there was a melancholy feeling in the air still and it just so happened to get worse. “What happened to you anyway?” Mr. Peggie asked. I was considering just simply not answering, but my morality decided against it. I paused for a minute and tried to remember what happened. As I recollect my thoughts, I respond with; “My head... it felt light and... I heard muffled commands flowing gently yet painfully through my head from one side to the other... it sounded like... my parents... screaming their harmful statements at me. Slowly deafening me... making me become subservient towards them... but that’s silly to assume because they’re their dead.” I said that last bit scarily neutral. As Mr. Peggie mentally unbagged what I said, I could swear I saw him finally connecting the dots as he processed what I said fully. And I swear I could feel his heart drop in that very moment. He stood still as stone as he hesitated to tell me the truth. I could tell. He’s hiding something... but what is it? Why is he hiding something in the first place? Why? Why? WHY?! I stayed calm and collected while I slowly regained my composure. “You’re hiding something.” I said in a monotone voice. He exhaled as he knew that when I am stern in tone, he’s going to have some trouble if he crosses the line. And then he sighs, only this time it was hesitant and... sad. “I just don’t know where to begin, that’s all.” he said hopelessly. I look at him, the feeling of defeat clearly portrayed by his body language. It seems like he has been hiding the truth, not just from me... but from... HIM.
“Well, start from the beginning. That’s a good place to start.” I say subtly. Mr. Peggie sighed and took a deep breath. “Ok. It all started... when I died. I was just as confused and paranoid as you, if not more after the recent events that occurred earlier that day. Anyway, I, unlike you, was alone. Since I was over 18, I didn’t get a soul guardian. I got by just fine for about 3 hours, but I lost it at 3 hours and 49 minutes in. I got hit with the realisation that I had no one anymore... and I knew who killed me. The same person who killed my best friend. And his name was Robert James, more well known as St. Robert. He was a hitman that lived under the laws of democratic allegiance. He worked for whoever paid him and I didn’t want to conform to democracy so lived my whole life as an aristocrat instead. I paid my councils and was charitable, so I was quite well known to a lot of people for such. So, when my parents hired him to kill my friend and I, he knew exactly who I was without any physical representation. Once I died and after I lost my sanity like you did... I killed him and my parents. Not out of love, out of revenge. Once their soul was released... I killed them again. And they took over my body at random times, so I decided to silence them. I would torture myself every single day in order to stop them from controlling me any longer. Burning was the main method for such. Now they only control me during times of intense panic or irrational lash-out episodes. I’m not suggesting you doing it though. Because although it silenced them, it caused me to lose my sense of self and also made me unable to process my surroundings. It has me in a state of hyper focus at all times, but also a heightened sense of paranoia.” By the time he finished his statement, I was overcome with overwhelming sadness. “I’m so sorry that happened to you. You didn’t deserve any of that happening to you.” I said, full of sorrow. “It’s ok. Really. Anyway, what’s been on your mind to make you this deep in thought?” Mr. Peggie asked, disregarding the fact that he was hurting and deep in thought as well. “I just remembered someone who I know is still alive. Only just. He has to take care of our nightmare half-sister.” I said. Then it clicked. He was the “them” I was thinking about. “I know he can’t see me but... I want to see him again. Can I go home and see him?” I asked politely. He fell silent suddenly and stated. “You died at 1:47. You will be visible to one person from that time to 2 hours later. After 3:47, you come back home. Ok?” I look at the time. It’s currently 1:30. “OK!” I exclaimed  quickly as I hug him. “But how do I make myself visible?” I asked. “Simple. You simply say the name of the name of the person, your relation to them and your time of death.” He replied. “Ok. Thank you so much. I swear I’ll repay you I swear.” I went to find Rico and Charlie and they were playing a board game. Charlie was smiling again. That beautiful damn smile. Just seeing it made me feel better. So I hovered behind him and tapped his shoulder. He turned around and his eyes lit up with happiness. He wrapped his arms around me tight and cried joyful tears. “You’re still alive!” He exclaimed. “Heh, yeah. I couldn’t give you up bud.” I hugged him back. “Mum, I’m leaving at 1:40. I’ll be back at about 3:54. Ok?” She teared up. “Ok. I’m glad you’re alright. She hugged me and then she shown me the time. It was 1:38. So I packed my stuff and left for home.