| 59 | A New Reality ||

Penelope shrugged out of his hold when he ushered her to the passenger side of the car he was driving.

"I'm just trying to help you."

She was slightly bent over and holding her shoes.

"I can get into a car by myself. You wanna help? Put the pedal to the metal, yeah?"

He frowned. "You don't look so good." He pressed the back of his hand to her forehead. She smacked his hand aside and glared up at him from her seated position in the car.

"Thanks for telling me I look like shit. Now would you come on?"

"I didn't say you looked like shit." Could she ever? She was wearing a skirt and nice blouse, looked like she was working at that job of hers.

She cut him off when she shut the door.

He frowned. This wasn't like her at all.

He slid into the driver's seat and pulled away from the side of the road.

"Seriously, Penelope. You look ill."

"That's because I am ill, Liam." She said through gritted teeth and she rubbed her stomach.

"Do you have a bug? Something you ate?"

She glared over at him as if he knew more than he was letting on. He didn't have a clue why she was being so hostile and his doe-eyed look of confusion was proof of that. "No, Liam." She said his name with hostility, her voice dripping with sarcasm and annoyance.

"Why are you being so hostile toward me? Are you on your period or pregnant or something?"

She tossed up her hands. "Oh, a woman expresses how she feels and that means she has to be on the rag, right? God forbid she actually have real feelings of her own." She rolled her eyes and looked out the window.

"That's not what I meant." He quickly glanced between her and the road.

"Ok, ok I'll say it," she said as if conceding. "Since you obviously want to hear that you're right."

His frown deepened. Right? About what?

"I ate too many s'mores yesterday, okay? You happy?"

"Happy?"

She exhaled, shaking her head and looked out her window. "I've been feeling like shit since I woke up yesterday. Feel even worse now after eating sushi for lunch." She moaned and rubbed her flat stomach.

"You going to puke?"

She moaned in discomfort. "I don't know. I just... I don't know."

Liam frowned and glanced over at her, his chest clinching seeing her look of distress. His frown deepened when his eyes were pulled to the prison visitor tag on Penelope's shirt. "What were you doing at the prison?"

She opened her eyes and glanced down at her blouse. She grumbled and ripped the thing off. "Visiting my brother. Does this thing go any faster?" She pressed her hand on her stomach. "God, I just feel awful."

His attention was pulled back to her current state of duress. "Are you sure it's just a food thing? You ate the s'mores over a day ago. Your body would have digested it by now."

She laughed sarcastically. "I'd venture to say it had something to do with my spicy lunch and the copious amounts of s'mores I ate in the wee hours yesterday. How could you let me do that?" She moaned again.

"Let you? HA!" He glanced over at her quickly, his chest constricting seeing her look of discomfort.

"You want to say I told you so, don't you? Yeah, you do. I can see it in your eyes. Go ahead, say it."