| 18 | Enjoy the Process ||

The woman scribbled a few notes on the piece of paper in front of her before pulling off her glasses and bringing her attention back to Penelope.

With all the hullabaloo going on with the Rogans she barely had time to prepare for the interview which was a receptionist job at the dentist. It was part-time with Fridays off, good pay in a nice part of town not too far from where the Rogan's lived which meant a short commute. It was just what she needed right now.

"Ms. Georgia. After reviewing your application, and having spent the last thirty minutes with you, I would like to offer you the position right on the spot."

Penelope couldn't hold back the smile that spread inside to out. "Oh my gosh that's wonderful, thank you."

"I'll have Kimberly email you the formal offer for you to review. What do you say?"

"I say, yes! I'm excited to get started." She knew she was supposed to play it cooler, but why? It didn't seem to be necessary at the time.

"Excellent. Will you be able to start monday?"

"Yes. That sounds perfect."

Both women stood and shook hands. "Great, we'll see you on monday at nine and get you started with all the boring paperwork and onboarding stuff."

"Thank you Denise."

"My pleasure."

Yep, there was pep in her stilettos and she made her way quickly to the Rogan's Lexus SUV that she was borrowing until she could save up enough to get her own car.

Damn, she thought, looking at her watch. She had to rush over to this doctor appointment with the Rogans. She went through a bunch of testing before she started this adventure that the placement agency required looking for all sorts of things, but this was really just an appointment to sooth Frida's ridiculous expectations and mountain sized ego.

Both Liam and Frida greeted her in the waiting room and exchanged small talk before they were called back to meet with the doctor.

Penelope had never seen anything like that before. The doctor was in the room waiting for them. Never happened, ever in her life.

"Liam, Frida, Penelope. Good to see you all again. Please come in and have a seat. Now," the older man said looking at his chart. "Looks like you've come in because you have some concerns."

Frida nodded. "We're doing everything we can but our surrogate can not get pregnant."

"Hmm," the doctor said, looking at his chart. "The hospital she got all her testing at sent over her records so I've taken a look. Everything looks good. Mr. Rogan you recently had blood testing done and you seem to be healthy as well." There was a pause as he perused the papers. "You are going the natural route I see."

"Yes." Frida said, crossing her leg.

"Have you considered alternatives?"

"We talked about it--"

"But it's off the table." Frida interrupted her husband.

"Maybe it shouldn't be--"

"If my baby comes out with one leg you'll be sorry because you didn't listen to me." Frida snapped, turning her attention to Liam.

"I'm not making any decisions," he said, throwing up his hands. "I'm just saying that it's about the outcome, right?"

"The odds of complications are no different than if the child was conceived the natural way, Mrs. Rogan." The doctor said in his calm melodic tone. He picked up some other papers and read them before speaking again. "The lab results show that your husband and your surrogate are healthy and compatible to create a child together."

"Then why can't they do it?" Frida clipped out with her arms crossed.

"How long have you been trying to get pregnant?" The doctor wanted to know.

"I don't know!" Frida threw up her hands. "Feels like forever."

"Three times." All eyes fell to Penelope.

"Excuse me?" The doctor frowned. "Did you say 3 months?"

"No," Liam responded before Penelope could open up her mouth. "It was four." He swallowed. "Twice then that one night and once that next morning." Penelope was grateful for her dark skin because her face warmed as the memory of that damn next morning played out in her mind.

The doctor took a deep breath and brought furrowed eyes to the Rogans. "Four times? You're here concerned about a problem? The problem is this isn't like buying a car. The invitro process in a clinic could be quicker if you want to have a higher chance of success..."

"Not an option. There's also a higher chance of having multiples. All I want is one. Just one beautiful baby girl. I'm not greedy."

"Frida honey, maybe we should hear the doctor out."

"Hear him out?" She looked at Liam as if he grew another head since they set down in the doctor's office. "Linda and Pete heard their doctor out and the two babies growing inside her fused together and she had a miscarriage. Is that what you want?!"

Liam exhaled, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Of course not honey."

Penelope stifled the laugh by clearing her throat. She could feel the metaphorical vice squeezing around his balls.

"The odds of that happening are low."

"But not impossible." Frida crossed her arms, stubborn not changing her mind.

"No, not impossible." The doctor was quiet for a moment. "Mrs. Rogan, Mr. Rogan. You're making a baby. It's going to take time. The best advice I can give is to relax and try to enjoy the journey. Fertility charts don't matter if the two, especially the surrogate, are stressed or under duress. Relax, take care of your body and it will welcome life. Call me again after six months of consistent, successful copulation if there's still no pregnancy."

"I don't know, girl." Penelope said fifteen minutes after the doctor gave Frida and Liam a stern doctorly slap on the wrist for being impatient adolescence when it came to getting this baby in the oven. She was on the phone, hands free of course, with Lydia her former coworker and the one who suggested surrogacy to begin with. "I can't lie, the money is good, but it's a lot. Making a baby is no joke."

The other woman laughed. "Tell that to my husband. We have five barely making ends meet and he keeps climbing on top of me, I swear."

Penelope laughed. "Cold shower?"

"I wish. The water doesn't get cold enough for that man." More laughter. "I love him though. So, tell me when I can peel you away for lunch."

"Don't you mean brunch?"

The other woman laughed. "As long as there are endless mimosas, well, for me anyway."

Penelope frowned up her nose. "You are no good. Has anyone told you that?"

She laughed. "Nah. 'Cause lying is a sin. Seriously, we need to get together. I want to hear all about things."

"Sure, ah how about in two weeks Sunday brunch bottomless mimosas for you anyway."

The other woman laughed. "Sounds good. FUCK YOU DICK HEAD!" She shouted, honking her horn. "I gotta go before I RUN THIS PRICK OFF THE ROAD!"

"Fine, go. Don't get into an accident!" Penelope laughed, ending the call while shaking her head. Traffic was a welcome menace because it meant it would take her longer to get back to the Rogan's. She turned on the music and smiled. It was the small things.

|:|A/N|:|

Nothing like a little professional back up to put things into perspective.

VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW on insta, facebook, here!

-Always my best,

Alex