7: Minute Three

I was going to turn off my phone just before I received a text. I was going to look at it, but then another notification alerted me. It was a message from Ashton Black. My heart began to thump vividly in my chest. I could feel my hands shaking and my eyes widening. There was no way Ashton actually texted me.

I loved Ashton from the very moment I saw him my freshman year. Of course, he didn't notice me at all. To him, I was nothing but a little girl who was a grade below him. However, ever since I began to hang out with Quinn, Ashton began to do small things like smile at me or even wave. Now that I'm a sophomore, maybe he has finally stopped seeing me like some child

Hey

I bit down on my lip as I read his message over and over again. Maybe he didn't want to speak to me. Maybe he needed help with some homework or something. It was very important for me not to get my hopes all up high. After taking a deep breath, I responded.

The moment I pressed send, he responded.

Quinn told me it was

your special day.

Happy birthday, Madison.

A loud squeal left my mouth as I began to thrash all over my bed. It felt like I was on cloud nine the way my happiness began to swim all around me. I couldn't even drop the huge smile on my face no matter how hard I tried.

I made sure to thank Quinn before responding to Ashton. Quinn was the best. I wasn't sure what I would do without her. She knew how much having Ashton wish me a happy birthday would mean to me. It was all I ever wanted.

A knock sounded on my door, leaving me to sit upon my bed and stare at the door in anticipation. Slowly, the door pushed open and the familiar curly-haired Angeline walked in. My brows were furrowed as I looked at her, wondering how she got here.

"Your mom came and picked me up. She said she didn't want us to ruin our special tradition," Angeline explained. We awkwardly looked at each other. I let out a loud sigh.

"Ange--"

"Madi--"

We paused.

"You go fi--"

"You go fi--"

Laughter climbed out of our chests, pushing all of the tension out of the room. We were so much alike that we even talked the same.

Once our laughter died down, I walked over to Angeline and wrapped my arms around her. She didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around me in response. It felt so good to be with my best friend again. There was so much I wanted to say, and so much that I needed to tell her.

"I've missed you, Angeline. It sucks that we aren't friends anymore," I told her. She slowly pulled away with a small smile on her lips.

"We will always be friends. No matter what. Don't you remember our promise?" she asked me, perking up a brow. I smirked as I thought about our promise to each other.

"Best friends forever," I answered, holding up my pinky. She wrapped her pinky around my own just as her smile grew. Even though she didn't say it, I could tell she missed me too. It was obvious in the way her entire face brightened up.

She looked around my room, noticing how I still had all of her paintings hung up on my wall. It made me proud to show her that I have never given up on her. Even if we weren't in the best state of friendship, I would always support her just like I knew she would always support me. Whether she—or I—could see it or not.