20: Epilogue

They gathered around the casket as it lowered into the ground. Everyone wondered how a girl so perfect could ever want to take her life. She was always smiling. Madison seemed like the happiest girl in the world. Some could even argue that they never even saw her cry. No one was aware of the burden she carried every day of her life. She always felt lonely in a room full of people. Madison wasn't alive and happy; she was already dead before she walked into the lake.

"Don't touch me," the mom muttered sternly. Madison's father pulled his hand away from her and tucked it into his pocket.

"Don't make a scene. People are watching, and you know that it is important for everyone to see that we are hurting together," he whispered into her ear.

"Our daughter is dead and it's all your fault because all you ever care about is these damn politics! I can't stand you!" she yelled, gaining the attention of everyone around except Quinn and Ashton who was in the back.

They were talking about their relationship and how they couldn't announce that they were together because it would look bad seeing as Madison just passed away.

"I'm sorry but forget about her. Did you forget about the Lucas thing?" Quinn questioned, raising her brows. Ashton looked down at his hands as if he were truly hurt about what Madison did.

"Yeah, but I really liked her. There was just something special about her. Yeah, she slept with Lucas, but I was also sleeping with you," Ashton said quietly. He looked around, making sure no one heard him.

Quinn was staring at the casket. Her eyes started to water but she fought her tears. Even in death, Madison would always be better than her. Madison was the kind of daughter Quinn's mother wanted to have—beautiful, smart. She harshly wiped away any fallen tears, turning to Ashton with a glare.

"Fine, go be with her then. Oh wait, she's dead." Quinn smirked. "I don't want to hear about how much you liked Madison. I'm your girlfriend now so be respectful."

She scoffed before walking off. Ashton glanced over at everyone one last time before chasing after her, accidentally bumping into Chase.

Chase felt like he could have saved her. He recognized the signs, especially when she gave away her blanket because his brother once did the same thing before he passed. Chase was incredibly young when he lost his brother who was a teenager at the time.

His brother always seemed so happy, and Chase felt awful that he didn't see how much his brother was truly hurting. He wondered how bad it must've felt having to pretend all of the time.

Chase wanted to help Madison because he could remember the way Angeline talked about her. She was a good person with a great heart who only made a few mistakes. After the death of Angeline, he swore to himself that he would watch over Madison just like Angeline would have done if she were still alive.

He felt like he disappointed his brother, his friend, Angeline, and now Madison.

As Chase walked, he could see classmates at Madison's burial, and they were the same people who talked bad about her.

It was so terrible that it was hilarious. He hated the way no one would ever change. No matter how many kids die by suicide, no matter how many teenagers self-harm, and no matter how many people felt bad about themselves in the end, kids will always be kids.

He looked around the burial site, saw Madison's parents arguing, Ashton and Quinn holding hands, and kids gossiping with their phone in their hand.

They were all the reason one-in-five high school students nationwide have had thoughts of committing suicide. They were the reason suicide was the second leading cause of death in children and new adults.

Suicide was not the answer, he knew that, and he lied when he said he never thought of dying. The truth was it was all he ever wished for.