10: Minute Four

When we arrived, I leaned against the locker beside her own with paint that was already peeling off of it. She busied herself with fixing her makeup and hair by using the small mirror she had hanging in her perfectly decorated locker. Pictures of me and Quinn were taped all around the mirror. There were even team pictures scared around as well.

"Don't think I forgot about that crap you pulled with Ashton. Do you know how hard I had to work to get him to ask you out? He was so nervous, and then you just completely shut him down. I don't understand you, Madison, do you like him or not?" Quinn lectured before slamming her locker shut.

I could feel my shoulders instantly sag. I already knew this conversation was coming.

When I didn't respond right away, she raised her brows impatiently.

"I panicked, okay? I should be allowed to panic sometimes. Just think about it from my perspective, I have liked him for almost two years now. He's a junior, and I am just a little sophomore. He is the captain of the football team! How else do you expect me to react?" I asked. Just as I finished my ranting, I could see Ashton and his football friends walking down the hallway. The moment he saw me, he winked.

"I'm thinking about it from your perspective, and I still don't get it. So what if you liked him for some long and he's captain of the football team? He's still just a regular boy. And the whole, 'he's a junior' thing is a load of crap. I'm a junior and you still hang out with me," Quinn reminded me. I could hear her words, but I wasn't bothering to comprehend them. My mind was already occupied with Ashton who was walking down the hallway directly to me. He abandoned his friends, who were all looking over at me and Quinn. Once again, my stomach was swarming with butterflies and my heart was pounding vividly.

"Hey, Madison." He smiled. Quinn looked at him before making a face as if she were in the process of throwing up.

"I'll leave you two lovebirds alone," Quinn said. She looked like a proud mom as she walked over to the group of football boys. Quinn always managed to fit in no matter where she was. Even though she looked like a small child compared to the large boys, she always stood her ground and shed off such great power and strength that it was almost impossible to even notice.

"Sorry for being so awkward earlier. I guess you could say I'm just really nervous." I chuckled nervously.

Ashton smiled, showing off his teeth again. He had to have known he had such a beautiful smile. I could look at him smiling all day and never get bored.

"Really? Why were you nervous?" he questioned. I giggled, a blush forming on my cheeks as I thought about the answer. He knew exactly why I was a nervous wreck around him. I was almost positive that Quinn told him that I was completely obsessed with him. He probably just wanted to hear me say the words to boost his ego.

"Like you don't know," I laughed sarcastically.

He shook his head, his brows furrowing. I focused on his tousled, black hair when he shook his head in acknowledgment that he had no clue what I was talking about. At first, I thought it was possible that maybe he asked me out because he felt bad for me. I assumed Quinn would have told him everything, but it made me happy knowing that maybe he actually wanted to be with me.

"Oh, well, it's nothing," I muttered.

"If you say so," he sang. "What class do you have? I wouldn't mind walking you."

Just like that, I swooned over his words. The crush I had on him quickly multiplied, and I began to wonder if this was how my mother felt when she met my father. I wondered if my mom's pathway of happiness seemed as clear as it did for me and Ashton right now. I hoped that there was a way to see all the bumps and closed roads ahead. If love was just driving blind, then I wanted no part in it.

Maybe my mom was too foolish and she ignored all of the signs. Maybe all love wasn't full of fights and stupid arguments. I needed to believe that love was more than what I witnessed from my parents. Maybe my mom was someone else's princess and she found herself in the wrong fairytale and dancing with the wrong prince. Love can be happily ever after, and maybe with Ashton, I could prove that.

"I'd love that. I have chemistry class with Mr. Jones," I answered. He threw his arm over my shoulder and began to walk me in the direction of my class. We talked about football and cheering. There was a warm sensation that built up in my chest as we spoke. I was grateful for the opportunity to make up for our awkward encounter in the cafeteria.

I was finally getting everything I wanted... the boy of my dreams, being on the varsity cheer team, having Quinn as my best friend, and an entire school who was beginning to know my name. As Ashton and I walked, a few of our peers would stop and wave at us. I was finally climbing to the top of the food chain, and becoming the girl I would sit back and want to be; I never thought it was possible.

When we arrived at my class, Ashton removed his arm from around me and adorably buried his hands into his pockets. He looked almost as nervous as I was which made me feel a lot better about myself.

"Alright, so, I'll see you on Saturday, right?" he questioned. I nodded my head, trying to put an end to the big smile on my face, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't.

"Great. I expect to see you there, Madison Davis. I don't think I'll have any fun if you don't come. I promise you that I will make it the best day of your entire life," Ashton stated.

I challengingly quirked up a brow. "The best day of my entire life... you sure about that?"

He laughed. It was comforting my eardrums as the melody of his laugh played out and hugged me like it was my favorite song. It was another thing I wanted to add to the ton of reasons why I liked him.

"Well, probably not the best day of your life, but it will most definitely be ranked pretty high," he returned. Just as I was about to open my mouth to speak, the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over. Immediately, students began to pour into the hallways. Loud chatter dispersed all around us to the point that I could barely hear myself think.

"I guess this is goodbye, for now, Madison Davis." Ashton grinned. I didn't know if I should hug him or give him a high five. Could it be that hugging him was a bit too sudden and awkward, or was a high-five too cliche and weird?

Ashton chuckled before bringing me into his chest. The smell of his cologne that smelled almost like pine quickly breached my nose. I found myself growing a sudden craving for the smell and the way his height towered over me. It made our hug feel like a puzzle, and I was the missing piece.