16: Minute Six

"I was driving after the party and it was really bad. I can remember Angeline saying I needed to pull over because it was raining and I had been drinking, but I told her no. She threatened to call my mom, and I tried to grab her phone and all I remember are lights and Angeline jumping in front of me. I don't know what else..."

"Damn it, Madison!" my dad's voice cracked.

He looked away from me for a long time, and I could just see him raising his hand to wipe away all of the tears he didn't want me to see.

"The police told me that Angeline looked to have flown out of the driver's side, but when they found you, you were outside of the vehicle lying on the floor, passed out. They were unsure of who was driving the car. All they know is that you were intoxicated, and Angeline was not. A lot of people got hurt and based on the police investigation, whoever was driving your vehicle is at fault. Since you were intoxicated, you can be faced with a lot of charges. Luckily for you, you can say Angeline was the one who was driving. She won't get charged. I can help her out, and she'll be looking at a ticket for not having a license or insurance at most. I will even help her pay it off. It won't even leave a dent on her record. When the police come in here, you have to say she was driving to keep our family's reputation clean, am I understood?" Dad asked.

He had that look in his eyes... hunger. It was the same look that I hated more than anything. He was always hungry for more power, money, and fame. He would lie to get to the top, and he didn't care who he stepped on to get there.

Before I could answer my dad, there was a knock on the hospital door. I glanced over just as the door opened and the three policemen I had seen earlier walked in with a kind smile and a notepad.

"Hello, Madison, I am Officer Jones. I am here to get your statement on the accident that occurred just a few hours ago. Do you happen to recall the incident and what led up to it?" he asked, clicking his pen so he could begin writing down every word.

I gulped, glancing at my dad who was already watching me.

"I do," I answered.

"Great. Start from the beginning."

"I was, um, at a party where I had been drinking a bit. I wanted to get home and I had no one to call so I asked my friend, Angeline, to take me. She agreed and got into my vehicle where we began driving. Then, it started to rain, and I don't know how it, um, happened. Yeah, I don't remember what else, um, happened after that," I lied.

"Your friend Angeline was the driver, correct?" He questioned.

I glanced at my father again. When I returned my gaze to the officers, I nodded my head.

"I'm sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience at such a young age. If you ever need anything or have any questions, reach out to me. I hope you get better," Officer Jones stated.

I didn't want to say anything because I was too scared that the truth would slip out.

After finishing up with my statement, they walked out of the room, taking all of my tension and lies with them. I could feel my shoulders dropping as I looked at my father who began to pace back and forth.

"Where's mom?" I asked.

"She isn't answering her damn phone," he growled.

I didn't want to be around my father anymore, especially when he acted out in this way. He always felt the need to remind me how much he hated me without saying it at all. Sometimes, it was his tone and his dismissive attitude. Words weren't the only thing that stung.