Lift

Richard POV

After lots of discussion, debate and discarding the senseless ideas by Cini and Nathan, it was finally decided that I had to go to Gia's place, wait for her to come out for work and then offer her lift, pretending to be passing by. Result - giving us alone time in the close proximity of my car.

So, here I was waiting in my car behind some shrubs, waiting for her to come out. I saw her dad reading newspaper, sitting on the chair. Why was he glancing at the door again and again. Next, kids came out, playing around. They were all set for school. They are so adorable, I love them already.

Her father got up all of sudden and picked up stool and placed it below ceiling lamp and was about to climb when Gia came out. Was he acting out whole thing???

Gia stopped her father from climbing the stool. They exchanged some words. She huffed and dropped her bag on floor and started climbing the stoot herself

Oh! Gosh, the old man made her do that. How wise!

"EXCUSE ME!" has she gone mad? That stool is too shaky and she standing on her toes on it, stretching her hands up. It looked life threatening from my view and those kids, they were actually standing guard. I was about to go out to stop her, but she was done with her work and got down. I sighed in relief.

Now it was my time to get in action. I followed her from behind and honked to get her attention, but she moved inside of road giving me space to pass. I honked again, this time she stopped. I halted my car near her and rolled down window.

"Hey Gia, come in, I will drop you". I told her with smile.

I had been practicing those lines, whole night.

She looked at me confused, as if she didn't recognise me and started walking faster.

I was baffled, this was not how it was supposed to be.

I again went near her and removed my sunglasses so that she can see me.

"Gia, hey it me Richard. You didn't recognise me"

She again looking at me bit annoyed and scared than it changed to confused look and she stared back at me. Ya I had shaved off my facial hair, had a short hair cut and had changed my attire too. As the realisation hit, her face was covered with this awkward nervousness. The kind of look she has around me.
There. see! I had that effect on her.

"Mr Hanks! Hi, I..I didn't recognise you. I am sorry."

"That's ok, umm so are you coming?" I asked.

She hesitated a bit maybe, finding a reason to decline.

"Umm..ya ok!" She replied.

'Ok??? Is she really coming??'
She opened the door and got in, she sat there so composed, what happened all of sudden. I was staring at her. She looked at me as if telling me start the car.

We drove in silence and before I could muster some strength to say something, we were already at the door. She thanked me and went inside.

'Ugh! How stupid of me, she was right there, yet...just forget it Rich, you are no good.' I scold myself.
Those two will pester me now for all details and than...bash me for missing the opportunity.

Anyways, I parked and went in too.

Well it was time to get in action.

I called Gia in my office to discuss about the presentation. She asked me hell lot of questions, which I answered. We discussed on the difference possibilities and ideas that we can work on. We chatted, we laughed and we argued a bit. We decided to meet again tomorrow same time with firm ideas to put on paper. But it was all too professional, just work. The nervousness that jittery feeling she showed around me, were gone. It seemed as if she had added one more wall around herself. Guarding her more. She was not letting my presence affect her.

On other hand I was all wrecked up, confused. Physically we were closer than before, but it was not helping. I was loosing any nanoscopic hope that could make 'us'

She clearly didn't want anything to do with me. It was depressing me, taking away the will to work for it.

-----

It was Wednesday today and we were almost done with the presentation. Gia had come up with very good concepts. One theme was to use the forms and shapes of all the exotic flowers on frost films, wooden partitions, even curtains and rugs. She had handled all the design details, where as I did the technical and texting part. She even suggested we present some hand drawn sketches at the meeting, which offcourse she will be doing.
It was almost lunch time and we will be doing final run of the presentation post lunch.

She had been avoiding having lunch with us, always coming up with some excuses. Even today she is not there at her desk. I, Nate and Cini head toward cafeteria. There she is sitting at the cafeteria tables with papers and colors and pencils sprawled on table.
She notices us and give a cheerful smile.

"Hi everyone"

"Hey Gia, we hardly see you these days" Nathan tells her.

"Ya, this presentation is taking up my time"

"You better be prepared, I will be watching you" Nathan told her with serious tone.

"You will be there?" She asked her with wide eyes.

"Ya, not just me, many of us got the invite from Mr Wilson"

"I thought, it will be just three of us" she was visible worried, biting her lower lip. Well she is doing the presentation, so the reaction is quite expected.

I knew it, and I didn't inform her purposely. It would had only made her more apprehensive.

She was looking at me, with 'you didn't inform me look' I just shrugged it off.