𝟎𝟑 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 hope

"Nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it" —Calla Quinn

AVELINA PASSED BY the receptionist who gleamed at the familiar woman. Avelina had been residing in Miss Paola's hotel for many months.

As she went on her path to the elevator, she began to wonder just how long Adrik had been pretending to love her. From the way he held her to the way he spoke to her, it was all fake. He had been pretending so he could take advantage of every bit of kindness she had. Like a sponge, he soaked up all of her firsts, smirking, knowing that he didn't deserve them.

She was mostly angry with herself for always being so blinded by a sweet smile, and never wondering the true intentions lying behind it. She once credited herself for intelligence, but as of now, she was foolish.

As the elevator had ridden up, she noted Jones, the elevator operator, wasn't there. A frown overtook her features. He always made sure to lighten up her dull mood and give her all the best advice he had on taking care of a baby seeing as he raised his two daughters practically on his own.

She clicked the highest floor and leaned back on the railing as the elevator climbed up the levels.

Avelina swiveled to gaze out at the view. Adrik never seemed to leave her mind. Even after he told her he didn't want to be with her anymore, she fell into a deep depression, never leaving bed unless she had to. Disbelief and denial became her buddies as they lied beside her and held her close.

After all of that sadness, Avelina still thought of him every second of the day. Suddenly, everything reminded her of the silver-eyed man she fell in love with. It didn't help that his baby was growing in her belly, kicking for its father.

The elevator doors pulled a part. Avelina walked out, removing the bag from her stomach. She walked over to Miss Paola's door where she softly knocked.

In seconds the door was pulled open and was left abandoned by Miss Paola. Avelina walked into the room, noticing the older woman who stood with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Well, tell me, how did it go? Is my grandbaby okay?" Miss Paola urged, tapping her foot impatiently against the floor.

Avelina sat her bag down on the ground, nodding her head just as the random waterworks came. It had been a long, exhausting day. Adrik was more present than he ever been in her thoughts. She couldn't handle it anymore.

A loud sob ripped out of her as she placed her hands over her face. Miss Paola rushed over to the girl, holding her in a light grip.

"That Russian really did a number on you, didn't he?" Miss Paola questioned, rubbing Avelina's back gently. She was careful not to apply any pressure to Avelina's baby bump.

"I miss him, Miss Paola, I miss him so much!" she sobbed. "How am I going to do this by myself especially when Dr. Fitzgerald just told me that the baby has an eighty-percent chance of being autistic. Adrik knows everything; I just know he would've been the most perfect dad."