𝟏𝟐 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 emotions

WHEN SHE WOKE up, she felt more comfortable than she had in a very long time

WHEN SHE WOKE up, she felt more comfortable than she had in a very long time. Warmth could be felt all around her, and the arms that held her close felt like she had finally returned home after being away for so long. It was the familar scent that pulled her in and relaxed her instantly. She sighed earnestly, letting the comfort of the soft mattress and strong arms remind her that there was no place in the world that she'd rather be.

Suddenly, it was like water had been poured on her. Avelina's eyes shot open where she took in the brightness of the sun, shining directly in her face. As her gaze fell down to her belly, she realized Adrik had his arm resting on it with his other arm curled around her breasts. He was pressed right up against her, and despite how much Avelina missed it, she hated it even more.

"Adrik!" she yelled.

"What?" he groaned, scooting in closer, planting his head into the crook of her neck. She rolled her eyes.

"Get up!" she yelled.

Adrik slowly peeled open his eyes. She could see her own reflection in his gray pools. To keep from getting lost in them, she turned away.

"Please, get off me," she demanded.

Adrik was hesitant to move over to the other side of the bed. Even if he had done so much wrong to her, she couldn't bring herself to stop feeling guilty from the look on his face. A frown settled on her face.

"I thought I told you to sleep on the floor," she said more softly.

"I would rather sleep with you," he told her.

She began to move the pillows from under her so she could get up, but before she did, Adrik grabbed ahold of her wrist.

"We need to have a discussion," Adrik said. She knew it was true—they most certainly needed to talk about everything. They needed to talk about future plans for the baby, their family, and how long they were going to keep it a secret.

"About what happened that day..."

Even though they needed to talk about their child, she didn't expect him to bring up the topic of how he left her in that office all alone that day. Avelina could feel the clench of her jaw. The day when her entire life was flipped upside down was the last thing she wanted to discuss. She didn't want to go through all that heartache again. It was bad enough that she still couldn't get over it. Avelina was now damaged goods, and it was all because of him. The last thing she needed was to discuss how he threw her away like a piece of trash and replaced her with someone better—prettier—famous.

Only after finding out she was pregnant with his baby was when he decided to step in. Avelina didn't want to talk about it, but she knew she should. If she was going to put everything behind her for the sake of the baby, she needed to go through all the hard discussions.

"Fine," she muttered.

"I never wanted to—"

The door barged open.