𝟎𝟔 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 imprisonment

"We write down made-up stories to tell the truths we wish we could say out loud." —unknown

After they finished getting groceries for the stew, Avelina grabbed some food for the man outside

After they finished getting groceries for the stew, Avelina grabbed some food for the man outside. When she handed him the bag full of groceries, he had the biggest smile on his face. It made her heart swell to see how happy it made him. She made a mental note to stop by every once in a while to make sure he stayed well fed.

As they walked back to the hotel, Lucia began to tell her all about her childhood. From the sounds of it, she was especially close with her father. They shared a relationship that was envied by most. It was so easy to listen to her and watch her eyes fill with the color of the city. It was a color Avelina lost over the past few months. What once made her want to go from a caterpillar to a butterfly was now wrapping around her in a cacoon that she just couldn't escape from.

They entered the hotel building and rode all the way up to Miss Paola's floor. A frown seeped onto Avelina's features when she noticed that Jones was still not there to welcome her. She wondered where he had gone.

Once they walked into Miss Paola's penthouse, Miss Paola wore the biggest smile on her face before she saw Lucia behind her. Miss Paola was never the most welcoming kind of person. It was especially the case when Miss Paola stared at Lucia with narrowed eyes.

Avelina could feel the suspicion shedding off of Miss Paola in waves, and she was sure Lucia could detect it. Lucia kept her arms crossed over her chest and always made sure not to stray off too far away from Avelina.

"Miss Paola, this is Lucia!" Avelina introduced.

Miss Paola hummed. She took a few steps closer to Lucia, eyeing the woman down. Lucia hugged herself even tighter. There was sweat beginning to trickle onto her forehead as she looked away from the older woman.

"Miss Paola, you're scaring her." Avelina chuckled. She grabbed the bags from Lucia and handed them off to Miss Paola.

"Come help me out in the kitchen really quick, Avelina," Miss Paola stated, never taking her eyes off Lucia.

She sighed before following her into the kitchen. The moment they were away from the red-head, Miss Paola gave her a pointed look. Even though the older woman hadn't said a thing, her face showed it all.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Miss Paola questioned, throwing her hands onto her hips.

"I know that I'm stupid. It's just that she was really kind and helped me with groceries and everything. Also, I'm really starting to enjoy her company," Avelina explained.

"Girly, the last time you enjoyed someone's company, they ended up making you fall head over heels in love, impregnating you, and then leaving you like a bag of stale chips. You have to be smarter. There are really powerful men who may or may not be watching you. And it's not just about protecting you anymore, it's about your baby as well," Miss Paola advised.