1

I open my eyes, my vision is blurred, I feel sweaty. I feel someone holding my hand. Once my vision clears I see that I'm in the same place as before, I look over and my heart stops, my eyes go wide, I might as well jump out the window. I hold in my urge to scream as the person holding my hand is my Grandmama, my Grandmama from 2018, from my life as a plain girl from Arizona state.

She sits next to me with her eyes filled with tears, she looks much older then she did the last time I saw her, what year is this? "V-Valentina" she says softly squeezing my hand. I just stare at her dumbstruck. How? How is this possible? Everything that I have done, experience, it's- it was all in my head? I was dreaming? "W-where am I?" I ask her. "Oh baby" she hugs me tightly. "You are at the hospital" she mutters into my hair as she holds me close with tears in her eyes.

"W-what happened? What year is this?" I ask her as my heart races as she holds me tightly in her embrace. "Oh darling, my baby girl" she says as tears stream down her face. "Y-you were taking that chandler from the attic and you fell, you got put into a comma" she says as her voice cracks. I hear the door open and I hear footsteps. A doctor comes up with two nurses as Grandmama let's go of me and the nurses check the machines and my health as the doctor sits down with a clip board.

"Hello Valentina, I am Dr. Bryans, we have been caring for you while you were in your coma, this past time, it is finally nice too see you" he takes out his hand as I shake it gently. "Now, how are you feeling?" He asks me. I put my hand on my wrist to fiddle with a bracelet that isn't even there. My heart sinks at the reality, "Valentina?" My grandmama says as I snap out of my thoughts, "I feel as if I just woke up early in the morning" I say as the doctor chuckles with the nurses and my Grandma but I stay quiet.

"Well Valentina from the charts you seem perfectly healthy and fine, but we are hear to tell you that you have been out in a coma for 5 years, it's 2023" the doctor says as my jaw drops, "what?!". "Yes you have been out for 5 years, welcome back" he says as I look at my hands. "How old am I?!" I say as I look at my grandma, "Well darling you are, you are 21" she says quietly as I almost faint, "21!" I shout, I've never been this old, not in this not with my old life.

"Welcome to the legal world" the nurse laughs as the other nurse and doctor find her joke humoring. I don't smile as the doctor explains few things to my grandma about checks up before I am discharged from the hospital. They wheel me out of the room and as we walk down the long hallway and get to an elevator, right before the doors clothes I swear I hear a familiar voice shout my name. I look at the hallway confused as the door shuts, making me stop thinking about it.

We get to the first floor and get wheeled to my grandma's running Prius. "Is aunt Helen in there?" I ask her as she smiles at me. I see my aunt Helen get out of the car in tears and a big smile, "oh my lord" she wraps her arms around me. I hug her back, it feels as if a life time has past since I have seen them. They help me into the car and we start our drive home. I squint at the bright sun and get handed sunglasses as I look out the window.

Everything looks so different it feels so weird. We pull up home and I get out of the car. "Welcome hike my love" my auntie says as I look at the house I haven't seen in years, yet everything looks the same. Grandma unlocks the door as I walk in, decor changes have been made. I stand starstruck, "We wanted a little modern design" she said as I look at the once very traditional Russian living room turn into something that's... new. "Do you like it?" aunt Helen asks me as I look around the first floor of the house. "Yeah, it's nice" i say as I look at the kitchen. Photos of me hand around every corner, more then before.

"I'm gonna go see my room" i say as they watch me and I uncomfortably look upstairs to see that the house was redone there too. I open the door to my bedroom but it looked like a time capsule. Everything was the same and in the same place as I felt it before, before the coma I guess. I lay down on my bed as the reality sinks in even further. I should get out of these clothes and but on a fresh pair. I get up and walk to my closet as I find all of my ripped jeans, shorts, t-shirts. I take something that matches and put it on as I look in the mirror, I can't go out looking like this, look how much skin it's showing! I pull out some sweatpants and large t-shirt.

This looks good enough, I don't have any long dresses to put on, wearing pants feels weird. I look through my old room and realize did my school friends visit me? They must be in college now. I was never to close to anyone before everything. I didn't have friends to go out with or to call, but it never bothered me because I had my family. "Vanya!" I hear my Grandmama call for me as I walk down the stairs as she cautiously watches me walk down the stairs. "What to do want to eat?" She asks me as I hear Aunt Helen around in the kitchen. "Anything you like is fine with me" I shrug as she looks a bit disappointed.

"Don't you want to do anything special?" She asks me. "I'm fine" I shrug before walking up the stairs and locking myself in my room as I let out my tears. God, why did I have to go back? Why couldn't I have just stayed?