4

My aunt and I sit with my grandma at the fancy restaurant having our table in a separate part for privacy. My grandma hates public things so public proposal isn't her thing. I look down at the fancy menu finding nothing particular that I want out of the 5 dishes this place serves. Cant they just have something simple, potatoes? But that's a side. Who cares? That's the closest thing I have to the food I used to eat.

The waiter comes up to us with his perky smile, "what would you ladies like to order?". My grandma orders first, then my aunt and now it's my turn. "Potatoes" I say. Everyone looks at me confused. "Miss that is a side , the portion will be small" he explains as I shrug, "you can make it bigger". He looks at me taken aback while my aunt holds onto my arm tightly, me knowing she isn't happy with my while my grandma apologizes and just orders the side of potatoes.

Once the waiter leaves I get a scolding. "Vanya you can't be this rude!" My grandma scolds me in Russian. I hold back my eye-roll as we wait for our food. I take out the book I brought and start to read as I wait, not listening to whatever conversation my aunt is having with my grandma.

If my grandma accepts her proposal will have to call aunt Helen grandma? That will be so weird I don't want to do that. My mind goes back to this classic book I'm reading, "Eugene Onegin" the novel that my- the novel that my fellow Russians should know. I continue to read as I sip on my water which tastes not very good as I continue to ignore the flirting going on with the other two people I'm waiting with.

Once our food arrives I put away my book and dig into my food. I look out the window of the restaurant as it is surrounded by other buildings. We should really live closer to the water, more pretty then here.

"So Vanya... how are your potatoes?" Grandma asks me. "They are fine" I say as I continue to eat them. "You don't know how happy I am to have all of us together again" my grandma smiles as she puts her hand over mine as I look up at her. I remember that I promised my aunt that I would try to be more happy since it's the night of their engagement. I'll try to not make it about myself.

"Yeah" I say as I continue to eat. "We all are happy to be reunited again" my aunt smiles as we finish our food. I sit back with my stomach full as I notice my aunt standing up. "Alice. I have been in love with you the moment we met. I felt an enormous amount of joy twice in my life. The first time when you asked me to move in with you and the second is when you said yes to our relationship. Will you make me the happiest I have ever been by accepting..." she kneels down and opens the small box with a super Russian looking ring, "this question, will you do me the honors of marrying me?" .

I sit looking at the scene in front of me as my grandma stands in shock with tears in her eyes. "Oh Helen my love, yes!" She says as Helen slips the ring on her finger and stands up as they kiss. The waiter claps with tears in his eyes while I stand up, ready to go home. "Can we go home now?" I ask as they break away. But they mostly ignore me as they are in their lovers daze. I sigh in annoyance and go outside.

I miss them. I miss having them around with me. I was never alone that much with Nastya constantly talking and Maria constantly talking and Olga scolding me and Tatiana- and Tatiana being there for me. I let a tear fall as I think of my memories with them. At least I completed my purpose. I saved them. I hope they are still in Denmark living their best lives.  I hear the doors open and find my grandma and aunt waking out so we walk to the car together as my grandma admires her ring.

***

I sit swinging my legs as I wait for the doctor to come into the room. We have been waiting 30 minutes already and I'm starting to get annoyed. My aunt and I sit in silence as she reads on her phone and I look around trying to occupy my time. I hear the door open and turn to see the doctor walk in with a nurse. "Hello Valentina how are you?" He asks me as he looks over the nurses clip board.

"I'm good" I say while looking out the window. I turn to look at him and see him trying to give me an encouraging smile. "So how have you been doing, adjusting?" He says as he checks my ears, my heart, etc. "I've been doing great" I say while he doesn't notice my sarcasm as my aunt speaks up, "don't listen to her doc, she barely gets out of bed unless dragged out, she won't open her phone, she sleeps most of the time. She isn't well at all" she finishes as the doctor looks at me with a frown.

"Have you been feeling it hard to adjust?" He asks me as I answer with a shrug. "Have you been feeling the need to self harm or-," before he could I finish I say, "oh god no". He writes something down on his clipboard and looks at me. "With what I have been told and from your reaction I would recommend attending therapy to help you go over your grief of loosing 5 years and the large impacts in your life. Alyssa here will give you a list of good therapists in the area. With that ladies I would like to wish you a great day" he says before leaving the room.

My aunt says goodbye to him as alyssa clicks around on the computer. She prints out a piece of paper and we are ready to leave. She opens the door and guides us out in the hallway as I hear people rushing and yelling. I snap out of my daze as I recognize that yelling. "HELP! SOMEONE HELP!" I hear the familiar voice come closer and closer as my heart pounds frantically and everything goes blurry except one person. my mouth drops to the ground and my eyes widen... it's Alexei.