3

I sit eating breakfast feeling exhausted from being out all day with my aunt yesterday. I just want to stay home for a week to recharge.  I watch cartoons on tv, I can't bare watching the news. I stuff sugary lucky charms in my face as I watch the silly mouse and cat chase one another around. My aunt walks into the kitchen, "you are going to run more errands with me today" she says while opening the fridge and I let out a loud irritated sigh.

"Don't groan at me, you are going to go out into the world if it's the last thing I do" she snaps. She switches the channel to the news as the remote is in the kitchen and I'm too lazy to argue with her. I watch the weather report and some boring local news as it gets interrupted by something big. The headline reads, "NEW REMAINS DISCOVERED IN THE ROMANOV PIT". My face burns red, my heart beat quickens. I feel my stomach twist and turn I feel like I'm panicking. Am I  having a panic attack? All I can focus on other words going through my brain.

Did she just say what I think she did? As I try to listen more my aunt shuts off the TV. "Hey! I was watching that" I go ballistic. "Don't you dare argue with me Vanya! We are going now" she says as I roll my eyes and follow her to her car. The minute I step outside the Arizona sun kills me. "Why do we have to live somewhere so hot?" I complain as I get in the boiling hot car. The air conditioning barely helping.

"Quit complaining and be grateful that I am putting up with you." My aunt helen snaps as she backs out of our driveway and we start driving to the mall. I sigh as I don't want to go to the mall. I want to stay on the couch, eat ice cream all day and dwell at something that turned out to be a lie. Yet it felt so real- "Maybe we will even buy you new clothes so you won't look a like a bum" she laughs as I roll my eyes.

"I am surprised that boy even came up to you at the bookstore." she says as it snaps me out of my silence and I turn to look at her, "What?". "I went into the bookstore for a minute and overheard a boy speaking to you"she explains as she keeps her eyes on the road while my eyes stay glued to her. "you were eavesdropping on me?!" I snap at her. "Yes and your attitude was not pretty. You should accept his invitation poor boy witnessed your witchy behavior" she says as we pull up to the parking lot of the mall and enter Dillards.

We walk around for a bit, get coffee which was very sweet and I bought a long pastel pink dress. My aunt stands in line for food as I sit occupying the table and zone out. What remains did they find? Who else was found in it? I snap out of my thoughts as my Aunt places fries before me. "Eat up" she says as I look down at the food she already starts eating. "So I had a talk with your grandmother last night" she starts the conversation as I know it will end badly for me.

I keep looking at her as she continues, "We think it's best if you start to get out of the house and we think that if you start applying for jobs is a start. I know its scary and new but then you will have money already saved up for when you get your GED and move on to college maybe?" she says while the words come into one ear and come out the other. I zone out at the mention of getting a job.

Me? working? Having to talk to people that could be considered my peers but not really because I am twenty fucking one years old? "Vanya what do you think?" she says as I block out her words. Me amongst other people? "This was too soon lets just enjoy the rest of our day together" she says as I keep quiet for the rest of the time.

When we arrive home grandmama is already there while cooking dinner. I rush up to my room and lay in bed. Hours go by as mostly I sleep or watch movies. I hear a knock on my door, "Vanya we have a doctor's appointment tomorrow at 9 so be ready" before I hear her walk away. I look at the clock to see that it is 9. I decide to go back to sleep.

***

"Vanya! Vanya!" I hear the shouts of my sisters echoing.

"Im here, Im here!" I scream as they walk past me still looking for me. "Olga! Tatiana! Maria!" I turn Maria around to find her all bloody with bullet wounds everywhere. She screams in pain as i fall onto the ground.

***

I wake up sweating and feeling all of my emotions rise up as tears start to stream down my face. I hug myself as I start to silently cry while I sit in complete darkness at 2 am in the morning. Why? Why did this all have to happen?