Chp. 11 Jaunedice Part 1

During Combat Class, Cardin Winchester opposes Jaune with his mace The Executioner slumped over his shoulder. Jaune with his sword and shield Crocea Mors drawn and ready. Jaune exhausted as the spotlight shines on him and Cardin in the auditorium.

He looks at Cardin, who laughs at his opponent's tiredness, and Jaune gathers his strength to charge forward and swing his blade at Cardin, only for him to jump out of the way. Jaune looks back, surprised, as The Executioner sends Jaune's shield - and himself - flying back. Now only armed with his sword, Jaune continued to try and attack, but is blocked by the mace's hilt. Their weapons locked, Cardin forces himself up, towering over a struggling Jaune.

Cardin: This is the part where you lose.

Jaune: Over my dead-!

Jaune is cut short as Cardin knees him in the gut, making Jaune drop his sword and fall to the ground in pain. Cardin raises his mace and is about to slam it down on a worried Jaune just when the buzzer rings, the lights come back on, and Glynda Goodwitch's voice causes him to stop.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough!

He relinquishes his assualt and walks away as she comes onto the stage, tapping her tablet.

Glynda: Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match.

Jaune still laying on the ground in defeat, Pyrrha with a sad look on her face.Glynda turns her head to look at the losing warrior as he pulls out a smaller tablet with his low, blinking stats and that of his entire team.

Glynda: Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?

Cardin: Speak for yourself...

Amongst the rest of the students excitement arises mostly among Team RWBY, Ben however confused by all this.

Ben: What's got everyone so excited?

Glynda:Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!

The bell rings, and students start leaving while Pyrrha continues to frown sadly. Jaune, still sitting on the floor, hangs his head in shame.
-------------------------------------------------
Later at lunch the heroes are sitting at the table listening to Nora's unbelievable story.

Blake paying no attention as she is lost in her book, and Yang, who is hanging on her every word with her hands cupping her face, as Ben listens as well occasionally snacking on his chili fries.

Nora: We were surrounded by Ursai...

Ren: They were Beowolves.

Ren states announcing the flaws in her story.

Nora: Dozens of them!

Ren: Two of 'em.

Nora: But they were no match... And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!

Ren: She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now.

Pyrrha: Jaune? Are you okay?

Jaune: Huh? Oh, yeah! Why?

Ruby: It's just that you seem a little... not okay...

Jaune: Guys, I'm fine. Seriously! Look!