Chapter 2: Black Gloves

With the mission completed we head back to our home city of Strofi. It's been a while since a customer had requested an entire head but regardless of their obscene desires I still meet their wishes. Holding a burlap sack I swing it over my shoulder as Abiba opens the door to Sir Dolion's establishment. I've passed this building a multitude of times but I do not know what purpose it serves. There are no signs and the windows are boarded up which results in a dreary poorly lit room.  

Sir Dolion stands up from a lone round table and smiles flashing pearly white teeth. He saunters over to us before speaking. 

"Wonderful!" He exclaims clapping his hands together. I drop the burlap sack off my shoulder and hand it over to him. Looking into the bag a slow grin snakes across his terra cotta-coloured face while his black bushy eyebrows raise in excitement.

"A job well-done girls, and for that here is your payment." He runs back to the table picking up two manila envelopes and hands us each one. Impatiently I break the seal and pull out the money. Flicking through the quarts I raise my brow and scoff.

"What kind of farced behaviour is this?" I say unamused. 

"You have only given me 10 quarts you promised 200," I say with slight annoyance in my voice. He nearly chuckles and twirls a finger around his mustache.

"Calm down Ms.Opal you already the rest of your payment." I ruffle my brows in confusion before remembering the gems.

"W-what you want us to keep the white sapphire for ourselves?!" I say incredulously.

"But of course, that pouch of white sapphire is worth more than all the money Mr.Chit has slowly been stealing from me for the past 10 years." I raise my brows as I turn to Abiba. A generous gift indeed but at what cost...

"Thank you Sir Dolion but we cannot accept this payment." I hand the black pouch back to him before speaking.

"I'd much rather have the 200 hundred quarts instead." He looks between me and Abiba with a tight smile plastered across his face.

"You're a smart woman indeed, Ms.Opal ... Well then let me get you your full payment."

***
Once Abiba and I part ways for the day. I do the same thing I always do once I return to Strofi, visit the corner bakery to satisfy my rambunctious sweet tooth. I guess the saying habits die hard is true because my addiction to everything sweet stems from my childhood. When I was a child whenever I had tantrums my parents would silence me with sweets and the habit only got worse once I got older. Whenever I was feeling ill or worried I would suppress my irksome emotions with something sweet, so much so that it has become a simple routine of mine to have pastries after every bounty hunt. 

Once I arrive at my favourite bakery, Sir Pastries bakery shop, I'm met with a familiar and kind face.

"Oh hello, Opal how are you." Mrs. Bager says with a smile on her face. I immediately smile and go to give the elderly woman a hug. I've known her and her husband for years and in a way, they compensate for the parental figures I've always longed for but never truly had. Once I pull back I notice that her once black hair is slowly making way for new gray ones and her eyes are transforming from chestnut brown to a muddled gray.

"How's your vision Mrs. Bager, do you need a pair of spectacles I ca-" She waves her hand disregarding my concern for her deteriorating vision.

"No dear, I'm fine. It's just natural when you're old as me you start losing key senses. Now come we've got a new line of pastries that I want you to try." She says while dragging me to the counter.

***

After taste-testing each pastry my stomach weighs heavy and my sweet tooth has been properly satisfied. I sigh in content and rub my stomach.