Chapter 10: Forsake me

I never knew how difficult it would be to fight an invisible adversary until now. Out of all my training in the academy, they never trained us on how to deal with an opponent that you can't see.

Kal and I struggle to keep a grasp on him. Fighting tooth and nail I am punched and kicked too many times to count. Begging to feel annoyed and frustrated I begin swinging in every and any direction hoping to lay a punch on him but to my foolish attempts I only end up punching the air. Enough is enough.

"Kal!" I yell as he takes one final blow across the face before knocking out. With my heart pumping furiously I quickly reach into my cloak and pull out the pouch of flour. I knew this would come in handy. 

Without a word, I open the pouch and throw the white powder in Kal's direction. Before I know it the outline of Olen's body becomes visible. Got him.

Without thought, I run-up to the powdered covered figure and collide my fist to the side of his jaw. A crack echoes from his jaw before he is sent toppling over. I watch as blood begins dribbling from his mouth as hit spits out some teeth. Before my eyes, his invisibility disappears and I am faced once again with his true form.

With his hand on his jaw, he glares at me before softening his gaze. Confused I take a step back wary of this new demeanour. 

"S-so t-this is it huh?" He says lowly. He looks up at me and I immediately freeze. T-this is the same look that Malou gave me before his final breaths. Immobilized I stand there stiffly unable to move for something inside me has triggered my blood to run cold.

"If you are to kill me then do it so the same you did to Malou." He says looking up at me with clear eyes. Standing in disbelief a wave of nausea hits me as the memory of Malou resurfaces clear as day. 

"I-I." Unable to form a sentence my thoughts become crowded with past memories of my youth. 

Memories of Malou's death coupled with the execution of my parents all integrated with my very own abominable existence become too overwhelming and before I know it tears are running down my face. 

"I'm sorry!" I scream with fresh tears running down my face.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sor-"

"Oh, would you shut up!" Olen spits with rage. 

"Just kill me! For it is my last wish. I do not want to feel this pain anymore." He says quietly. I stand there stiffly taken aback by his ludicrous request. I watch silently as he stands up and slowly walks towards me before planting his hand on mine and slowly removing my glove.

"Opal," Kal says faintly from the ground. I try to look his way but I cannot tear my eyes away from Olen's sombre gaze. Something about his eyes makes me shiver and makes me feel truly hollow inside. How could one look so soulless and melancholic?

Unblinking I feel the tips of my unclothed fingers graze the skin of his burning flesh. 

Please if there is a being that could take this wretched power away from my damned body then so be it for this shall be the last time.

"Opal no" Kal says weakly but his crying pleas fall on deaf ears. As if in a state of hypnosis fueled by my guilt and anguish I slowly wrap my hand around his neck. 

For whatever reason shall my damnd soul suffer for my ill-intentioned and callous actions of the past and present then let it swallow me whole for I am and will always be the living embodiment of the grim reaper himself. So please hear my pleas and let me forsake my very existence after this last deed. 

"May you rest in peace."

(Make sure to comment and leave a like 😁)