Chapter 5: Invisible Boy

After a few hours of waiting for Abiba to return I begin to grow anxious. My stomach begins to twist and the uneasy nauseous feeling I always get when anxious hits me full force. Bringing my nails up to my lips I begin ripping them off with my teeth so much so that all remains are numb stubs. 

Not only am I worried about Abiba's absence but I am also stressing over the letter with the blood-red owl seal. My stomach turns again as I think about the haunting message sent by Sir. Nev.

I have been waiting so long that the once blue sky has turned to midnight welcoming the full white moon. The pale moonlight shines into the room casting a cold shadow across the worn wooden floors.

I follow the pale light towards the window and peer out into the empty street looking for any hopeful signs of my comrade.

"Where could she have gone?" I question in an uneasy tone. After a few more minutes of me peering out the window, I begin pacing back in forth in the room in an attempt to calm my tensing nerves.

After pacing for what seemed like hours a wave of exhaustion hits me which sends me to my bed. However, before I can fully rest I stare at the crumpled letter on the ground before reaching for it and stuffing it back into the torn manila envelope.

The scarlet red owl stares back at me as I eye the seal carefully. Furrowing my brows I clench my hands around the envelope before setting it down on the nightstand.

Where have I seen that symbol from?

***

The early morning light filters through the window and directly onto my bed. Squinting to ease my eyes from the blinding light I blink a few times before rubbing them and sitting up.

However, the moment I try to stand a wave of nausea hits me which results in me emptying my bowels onto the floor. Yuck.

Wiping my face I groggily stumble out of bed and make my way to the coat hanger in a lazy manner. I still feel lightheaded and woozy from my gluttonous drinking but I try to stabilize myself before tearing my cloak off the coat hanger and putting on the hood. As if yesterday was all a bad dream I look around the room hoping Abiba has left any trace of her return whilst I was asleep but to my disappointment, her belongings have been untouched since yesterday.

I have gotten into arguments a multitude of times with Abiba and it usually ends in her leaving the conversation in a livid parade. However, she has never left for this long. A worrisome feeling washes over me making me feel even more ill.

Do not fret Opal I'm sure she will be back soon.

***
After waiting around the tavern for hours while simultaneously peeping out of the bedroom window I decided to leave and search the area. I begin to walk up and down the street looking for her while walking throughout town checking each and every building and shop there until there are no more for me to check. I had asked everyone I had seen to describe her appearance however to no avail nobody had seen her.

After searching the entire town I began to feel hopeless and frantic and before I knew it I was rushing back into the tavern I started to gather my things as well as Abiba's. Something isn't right! I think as I grab her arrows and bow.

Biting my lip I rush to the tavern counter and slam a pouch of quartz onto the table. Before rushing out of the building.

Where have you disappeared to Abiba?!

***

After leaving the tavern I grabbed the first train to Strofi. Biting my nails anxiously I think back to the letter and how it arrived right after Abiba's disappearance.

Whoever sent me that letter must be responsible for Abiba's disappearance I'm certain of it! I think while looking out the train window. With the letter tucked safely in my cloak, I continue to bite off my nails until they're down to the stub.

***

A few hours later I'm in Royal Stamps looking through a cornucopia of different stamps.

"Excuse me miss but are you searching for anything in particular ?" A man with tawny skin a gray curved mustache and a black cap says politely from across the room. Instead of responding, I continue to rummage through all the stamps like a madman trying to find the one that matches the seal on the manila envelope. After a few minutes, I begin to grow frustrated and scream.

The man jumps back a bit looking at me like I've lost my mind.

 "Uh, mis-"

"Do you have this seal!?" I say shoving the envelope in the man's face. He's taken aback momentarily before grabbing the letter and looking closely at the red seal.  Suddenly an expression of recognition draws across his face before he wordlessly saunters behind the counter and out of sight. Within seconds he comes back with a golden stamper accompanied by a wooden handle. Handing me the stamper I look at it and undeniably know that this is it.

"That was custom made by yours truly however this is the last remaining copy." He says smiling. I roll the stamper around in my palms letting the cool surface of the metal brush across my skin.

"Who purchased the other copy," I say with a stony expression.  The man looks at me hesitantly as if deciding whether he should speak or not.

"Please," I say in a more desperate tone. Sighing he scratches his chin before nodding towards the stamper.

"A gentleman with a black coat, Ivory skin, auburn hair and a golden mask purchased it." I turn to him warily before speaking.

"Did you say golden mask?" I pry narrowing my eyes at the stamp in my hand. He nods his head before eyeing me suspiciously.

"If I may ask why are you so intrigued with the origins of that said customer?" He looks at me with an inquisitive gaze. I grind my teeth while wrapping my hand tightly around the stamper.

"Because that man has something important to me." Without another word, I hand the stamper back to the man and leave.

***

I pace back and forth in my room as I go over my recent discoveries. Biting my lip I plant my hand on my chin as I take a quick seat before standing up immediately and pacing again.

Auburn hair, Ivory Skin...Golden mask... Shaking my head I try to concentrate and close my eyes as I try to draw upon memories of the past.

Think who was friends with Malou. Who had auburn hair an- My eyes widen as the mysterious man in question slowly but surely comes back to me.

Malou always has an entourage however none of them had auburn hair and Ivory skin except... Olen.

I gasp taken aback by my own memory. " How is that possible," I mumble to myself. From what I can remember the description from the store clerk coupled with Olen's close proximity to Malou albeit in private is irrefutably undeniable.

I nod to myself now remembering more about him and Malou's relationship. 

It wasn't that they were friends but... secret lovers. Yes, yes I remember now I recall Olen always hanging around in the background never quite seen but there. He was a quiet boy and kept to himself and in all honesty, I am surprised myself that I caught on to the notion that Malou could have had relations with Olen.

I chuckle bitterly as I think more about the times I had seen the both of them together without the accompany of others. Hidden in dark corridors, or the corners of the library in which I spent most of my time. I'd always hear hushed whispers from both of them whilst they exchanged touches coupled with quick kisses. At the time I had thought nothing of it, however now that my past has come back to haunt me it is clear that Olen has come back for revenge.

"That is why Malou was so important to him they were lovers!" I exclaim to myself.

Now that I know the identity of my adversary the real task at hand has come to call.

How will I find Olen the boy with the golden mask and the power of invisibility?

(Make sure to comment and leave a like 😁)