Chapter 9: Blood & Scars

In a blink of an eye, he disappears. I immediately pull out my daggers and begin scanning the area. With my heart beating so hard I can hear it in my ears I tighten my grip around my daggers as I scan anything and everything. 

"O-Opal," Kal says in a shaky breath.

"Shh," I say in a venomous tone as I try to keep concentration.

"Opal." He says once again. I grit my teeth looking left to right.

"Shh," I spit once again. My eyes dart in every direction as my ears strain against the now violent wind. Hundreds of leaves begin blowing in every direction making it harder for me to concentrate. Damn it I can't hear nor see his footprints. 

Feeling stressed and anxious I begin to panic. For the first time in my entire career of being a bounty hunter, I have never felt this unsure of myself. 

"Opal I-oof!" I immediately jump back startled and on edge as I see Kal keeled over on the ground with blood running from his temple.

"Kal- Agh!" I sharp pain hits me in the side of my head causing me to topple over. With spinning vision, I gasp in pain as I try to blink the stars out of my vision and regain composer. 

"Hahaha, long time no SEE!." A taunting voice says from behind me. I try to stand up but am booted down once again. I feel my daggers being pried out of my hands before being flung across the forest floor.

"Ugh," I grunt. I try to get up again but am pushed to the ground once again. This time a heavy boot presses into the center of my back causing me to clench my teeth in pain.

"It's funny you look like a frightened child." The voice says in a playful tone. This time the boot on my back stomps down causing me to scream out in pain.

Feeling frustrated I grunt into the ground as the boot presses harder and harder into my back.

"Show yourself!" I yell through gritted teeth. The moment I speak the painful weight of the boot is removed from my back and replaced with a hand around my neck.

"Fine, since this will be your final moments alive I shall reveal the face that will end your deplorable existence," He says slowly removing his mask. Once the mask is fully removed I gasp noticing gnarly scars across his once clear face. Clear-cut large gashes cover his cheek, eyebrows and lips. What happened to him?! 

Trying to ignore his mutilated appearance I reply with a snarky remark. 

"Pshhh, how could I not forget such a meek boy as yourself" I croak out sarcastically. He scoffs before kneeing me in the stomach. He continues to kick me over and over till I have blood pouring out of my mouth. The metallic taste of my blood coupled with the blows to my stomach makes me feel light-headed and queasy. 

Before I know it I'm laying on the forest floor coughing up blood. Standing over me he looks down with pure ornery before speaking. 

"I wish on you the same pain I felt inside when you killed him!" He yells with a pained expression. Looking into his eyes I see the gloss of fresh tears threatening to pour down. 

Coughing, I slowly stand up only to be knocked down again. This time he drops to his knees and wraps both hands around my neck. 

"Can you feel the pain that he had to feel?!" He says seething before continuing.

"I scarred my own skin unable to cope with his death. Do you understand?! He was ripped from me due to your novice indiscretion!" I watch as a tear rolls down his face and his cold demeanour cracks just enough for me to see the broken boy behind the resentful man that is now Olen.

"I-I'm S-sorry," I say struggling to breathe as black dots begin spotting my vision. Just as I'm about to run out of air I am released from his deadly vice grip. Gasping, I desperately breathe air into my burning lungs. 

"Opal hurry!" Blinking while still trying to catch my breath I struggle to stand while watching Kal hang onto Olen for dear life. He goes invisible so all I see is Kal getting tossed around in the air. Standing up I stumble towards him and launch myself self at his invisible body.

It's time to end this. 

(Make sure to comment and leave a like 😁)