56 Burden

Jonathan

Izzy's breathing slowly evens out as sleep finally claims her. She feels so small in my arms tonight, her confidence shattered. I swipe my thumb over her cheek, wiping away the silent tears slipping down her cheek and struggle to contain myself.

Jeremy... Something about him rubbed me wrong the first time I saw him. Any Dom worth his salt would be able to read a sub like a book, and Izzy is an open book. There's no way he didn't see how uncomfortable he made her, which means he just didn't care.

She's come so far since the attack, the thought of one bitter man's venomous words setting her back has my blood boiling. I fully expected setbacks. I know recovery isn't a straight line, but to have someone sabotage her is a curve ball I'm not willing to accept.

I grab my cell and flip through my schedule for tomorrow, looking over the names that are supposed to come by for meetings. One by one I fire off e-mails before turning my phone off and pulling Izzy closer. She nuzzles against me sighing in her sleep and her rhythmic breathing lulls me to sleep.

-----

Morning greets me with Izzy clutching my shirt for dear life. Her brows are knit together and eyes tightly shut as her entire body tenses. Seeing her so tense even in sleep brings last night's events back to me leaving me once again upset.

Gently I bring my hand to her cheek, caressing light circles over her cheek and neck. Izzy responds to my touch almost immediately leaning into my hand, then inch by inch her body relaxes until she lets her death grip on my shirt go.

A quick check of my phone shows it's already ten am so I slip out of bed to make breakfast. I take one last look at Izzy curled up with my pillow and slip out. The amount of emails and messages waiting for me on my phone makes me frown but my focus is elsewhere today. My intentions are pure... breakfast in bed. One small problem, I can't cook.

I sigh heading over to the cereal cupboard, inwardly groaning at such a simple task that escapes me. When I open the fridge to grab milk my eyes land on the syrup and inspiration hits, sending me to the freezer. Relief washes over me when my eyes land on the homemade frozen waffles from the other day.

With coffee, toasted blueberry waffles and syrup piled on a cookie tray, because I couldn't find anything else, I head back upstairs to Izzy. She's still sleeping but only lightly, so a soft knock on the door wakes her up easily. Izzy scans the room in confusion for a moment before landing on me and her lips part.

"Hungry?" I ask with an easy smile. Izzy wipes the sleep out of her eyes with the back of her hand, looking very much like a kitten waking up from a nap and nods.

She lets out a small giggle and traces the cookie tray with her slender finger tips. Hindsight being what it is I probably should have tried to hide it under a towel or something. Her sapphire doe eyes look up at me and a content smile slips on her lips as she snuggles against me.

"Thank you... Jonathan," she whispers.

Christ how she makes my name sound on her lips... it's all I want to hear.

"For you, anything Angel," I reply honestly. "Though you did most of the work, I know my way around a toaster pretty good if I do say so myself." My corny joke and cheesy grin are met by another soft laugh as she digs in.

"What time is it?" She murmurs between bites.

"Mmm, nearly eleven," I reply. Izzy gasps, eyes wide as she tries to jump out of bed. "Shhh, relax."

"But we're late! Oh my god, your first meeting was at ten thirty, thank god their late-"

"Izzy, stop." I order, freezing her in place. Her eyes automatically snap to mine, full of confusion with her brows knit tightly together. "There is no ten thirty meeting... or any others today."

"W-what?" She stammers, never breaking her gaze.

"We've been going non stop, I cleared my schedule," I reply, running my thumb across the back of her hand.

"You cancelled everything because of me... didn't you?" Izzy whispers, dropping her gaze. "Because I had a melt down." The pain and embarrassment in her voice guts me.

"Look at me," I say softly but not asking. When she doesn't I lift her chin and bring her gaze to mine. "I cleared my day because I wanted to spend it with you. We've settled into a busy routine and haven't taken any us time. I'm tired and we had a rough night... So yeah, I wanted to make sure you're ok, but I also want to spend my day with you."

"I'm sorry," she whimpers.

"I do have to suffer so much," I admit, making her eyes go impossibly wide. "It's such a burden to eat such terrible food, and have to wake up with a beautiful woman wrapped around me." I groan dramatically, dropping my head against the headboard with a thunk.

"Jonathan!" she gasps. "That's not what I meant!"

"I know, the mind blowing sex is just such a burden too," I nod thoughtfully, coughing to hide a laugh. Her dropped jaw and impossibly wide eyes are too comical and I break down laughing earning a disgruntled shove to my arm.

"Izzy, good and bad, highs and lows... I'm here for it. You give me a hell of a lot more than you take," I whisper, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Having me means all of me. I want to hold you when you're having a bad day and make you feel better."

She doesn't blink but hangs on every word and relaxes. I can practically see her walls crumble in her eyes and she slowly nods before whispering, "Okay."

"Good girl," I say, bopping her nose. "Breakfast first." Izzy snuggles back down and picks the waffle sticks. I smile, taking the victory and dig in too.

Before I can say anything, Izzy is up and taking my makeshift breakfast tray and dishes to the kitchen. She doesn't bother to change, just saunters off, wearing my T-shirt like a nightgown, but already she looks less shaken and more like herself.

So much for lazing in bed.

By the time I get downstairs Izzy is drying and putting away the last dish. She looks down right adorable, swimming in my T-shirt that hangs down mid thigh, the sleeves hanging all the way down to her elbows.

"Any thoughts on what you might want to do today?" I ask, refilling my coffee and leaning against the counter.

"I hadn't thought about it," she admits, hanging the towel back up. "I had a pretty busy day planned out, but now?"

"And what was on your docket?" I question, suddenly feeling a little guilty for changing everything on her without talking to her first.

"Mostly working for you, but I need to grocery shop and take those files to the lawyer," she replies, making me frown. I'm sure shopping can wait, but the lawyer is time sensitive.

"We could go together?" I offer, taking a sip and watching her reaction. "Or we could skip shopping and just go out for dinner."

Izzy rolls her bottom lip and bites it lightly as she weighs her options. "We could... But I'd rather stay in with you tonight, if that's ok?" She locks her big blue doe eyes on me as though she expects me to say no.

I gently grab her by the waist and pull her to me and smile. "If you want to stay in, we can stay in," I say, tucking her raven locks behind her ear. Her whole face lights up with a smile as she leans into my touch. "What do you say we go take a long hot shower first."

She nods, slipping her hand in mine and follows me up to our room.