One: Hi, My Name Is

A/N: Um I know there are plenty of warnings for a first chapter, but I promise it's not as depressing as it sounds. It's just that this story can deal with heavy stuff sometimes, so I just wanna let you know that. Anyways, hope you enjoy!

Warnings: mentions of marijuana, death, sexual assault and mental illness

Word Count: 3194

     "So, what was your time in Pennsylvania like?"

     "Uh... I'd have to say it was the best... and worst time of my life."

     "Best and worst, huh? Would you like to elaborate?"

     "Well, I, uh... I mean, I don't really know how to, like... explain it. It's a lot. I don't even know where to begin... Or how I would even word it or anything."

     "Well, you told me you like television and movies, right? You know those shows and movies where the main character tells the plot as, like, their life story? Maybe you could try that."

     "You aren't... You aren't serious, are you?"

     "You'll know when I'm joking, trust me."

     "Oh... Okay, then. Well, um..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Hi? My name is... (Y/N)? This is my life story, I guess.

     So, if we're going to talk about my life in Pennsylvania, we're going to have to start with my life in Kansas, first. I had two loving parents that soon turned into one at the too-young age of nine years, when my mom died. I remember her as one of the sweetest people I've ever known. She had this way about her that was so carefree, yet she gave a shit about everything. You could never pin a thought to her because she never let you in on what was bouncing around in her head. She was stubborn and patient and lively. I miss her so much. I don't usually think about her unless it's a particularly hectic day, which I then resort to talking to the ring I wear on my left pinky finger at all times. Wasn't anything special, just some cheap ring with a little emerald inside she found at a thrift store. It used to be hers and she'd wear it on the exact same finger. My dad said she'd want me to have it.

     My dad is my favorite person. He isn't the most... present, though. His mind is never set in one place, always racing with hundreds of unrelated thoughts. It's why when you finally drag him back into reality, he can't repeat a single sentence spoken to him. Regardless, he's all I had for a long time. I never really learned what he does for a living, but I just know that it forces him to leave town sometimes. Well, more like all the time. Before my mom died, it was easy for him to leave for weeks on end, but when he became my only guardian, he didn't really know what to do with me. It was like he completely forgot how to take care of a child, his child. When I turned twelve, that was when he started travelling again. I would then be home by myself for a month to eight weeks. In these times, I had no choice but to learn to cook for myself, go grocery shopping and housekeep. I became pretty independent at a young age. It wasn't like Dad left me totally alone, though. He would call every two or three days and he sent me two hundred dollars every two weeks. Like I said, I don't know what my dad did, but he was definitely getting paid. At the end of eighth grade, Dad had a particularly long trip to go on, so he sent me to Pennsylvania, where his sister lived.

     Pennsylvania was partially the best part of my life because of my family. My Aunt Pam was like a second mother to me. She was never able to have another child after my cousin Jacob and she's always wanted a daughter of her own, so that's what I was to her. The daughter she could never have. I'd often find her staring at me with a bittersweet smile on her face, watching my every move with a sense of pride, but when I'd ask her what was wrong she'd only brush it off as her admiring me. My Uncle David didn't necessarily view me as a daughter, but he certainly treated me like one. When he wanted to spend time with Jacob, he included me as well. We'd usually go on drives around the town, but I always fell asleep to the soft and serene music that filled the car from the radio. On the weekends, we would head down by the lake and spend hours learning to fish.