Eight: All Die Young

Warnings: mentions of marijuana, derogatory terms for homosexuality, blood/gore and death/dying

Word Count: 5690

    "Um... I think besides everything with Ricky... the night of homecoming was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life."

    "With Bradley Lewis's death."

    "Yeah. I-I mean, it started off as a normal day, a-a great day, actually."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Awaking to a text from Stanley Barber, informing me that he was driving us to school, was a heavenly sight. Almost as heavenly as waking up beside the boy, himself in the near future. Grabbing my phone off its charger, I rolled onto my stomach and texted him back, my feet giddily kicking in the air. It amazed me how he could change my entire demeanor within seconds. I could go from a sniveling baby to a hopping and skipping lovesick fool when it comes to Stan. And I don't even think he meant to have this much of an effect on me. I wondered if I had the same effect on him? I never really paid much attention to it, just accepted the fact that he would never reciprocate my feelings. Even during that time, I had no idea if we were a couple or just adoring each other. It didn't matter, though. Stan was finally looking at me the way I wanted him to.

    Jacob stared at me with unease as I skipped down the stairs, prancing my way into the kitchen for breakfast. "Mom, (Y/N)'s being weird." He called out as he opened the front door to leave. Pam hushed him before handing me a plate of food.

    "Hush, now, Jacob. Let her be in a good mood for once."

    "For once?" I frowned and sat myself down. Pam smiled over at me and gingerly kissed my forehead as I began eating.

    "Yes. For once."

    When I finished eating and readying myself for the day, I received a text message from Stan.

    Stan: I'm outside

    Me: omw

    Pocketing my cell, I called out to my family before stepping outside to see Stan in his car with a grin on his face. "Good morning, lovely!" He called out above his music as I strode up to the vehicle, climbing inside. I gave him my usual greeting before leaning over and kissing his cheek. He chuckled and waited for me to strap myself in before riding down our street. It was clear he was in a good mood, because he let me pick the music for the ride. As Waterloo by ABBA flowed out of the drawn-down car windows, I felt the comforting warmth of his hand latch onto mine. Our combined hands shook to the beat of the music as we happily sang the words to the song. Remember when I said I had only been this happy one other time? This was even better. There were never any consequences to being with Stan, never a dull moment, never a hint of doubt between our bond. I'd never been as close to anyone as I was to him. And now at last, we were even closer in more ways than one.

    Stepping onto the school campus, we were no longer strangers. I still walked within my bubble, and I probably always will throughout my life, but from now on there was no need to allow Stan inside. He was planning to be beside me through it all. He wasn't afraid to be alienated with me any longer, we were to embrace it together. We were going to allow the stares, the whispers, the rumors. Allow them to act as water on a duck's back. I was proud of him, I was proud of us. Even as I felt the dark brown glare of Ricky Berry trail after the two of us, watching our bashful and lovestruck glances throughout classes, the way we held hands in the halls. I was certain he got the message that I was no longer his, despite the forceful way he claimed me the previous week.