2.

June

A strange numbing pain flew through my body when I slowly woke up. It took my brain a couple of seconds before I remembered what had happened.

The strange feeling of the oxygen mask still  lingered on my face even though the mask itself was gone. I had so many questions but there was no one around who could answer them right now.

I sighed and rubbed my tempels.
The memory of the fire was still fresh in my mind.

The doctor told me they would contact my parents yet here I was all alone. I just hoped they were with Molly.

My left arm was wrapped up in white bandages. As I flexed my fingers I remembered what had caused the injury. Molly had absolutely panicked when I woke her up saying we needed to leave. I had picked her up to protect her from the fire.

Someone knocked on the door before I could spirale too far. A man in a white coat entered the room. I vaguely remembered him from last night with his blue eyes, tall posture and blond hair that waved. He kinda remained me of a surfer.

"Goodmorning! Did you sleep alright?" The man spoke cheerfully.

His question didn't even register in my mind . All I could think about how there was finally someone who could answer some of my own questions.

"Where's my sister?"

His smile dropped slightly. "Probably still asleep.  Don't worry my friend is taking good care of her. Once you guys are both well rested I'll let you talk to her."

"Have you contacted my parents?"

The doctor put a chair next to my bed and sat down with a soft look in his eyes. My mind immediately went trough all the senerio's were he would tell me something bad.

I shot him a confusing look hoping he would answer without my having to use my voice. My troat still hurted and I felt a slight burning feeling with every breath I took.

"How are you doing June? Are you feeling any pain at the moment?"

"Not really." I whispered more than spoke.

He was avoiding my previous question. Why didn't he want me tell were my parents are?

"You breathed a lot of smoke in last night which thankfully didn't leave any lasting damage besides a sore troat and some coughing for a few days. Nevertheless the most concerning wound is the burn wound on your shoulder."

"Third-degree?" I asked scared because I knew that could mean serious lasting damage.

"Thankfully not, it is a second degree burn but it was very close to being worse. The clothing you were wearing offered some protection. What makes the wound bad is the fact that it's placement could restrict your arm movement. The scartissue would make your skin thighter and more sensitive."

While he was saying all these I was looking down at my hand and flexed it. I gently tried to move my shoudler and then my arm. Everything felt fine, he probably was exaggerating.

"Burn wounds are very prone to get infected. That way when you are discharged you need to take good care of your wounds. I will also write you a recommendation to visit physical therapy to make sure you won't have any pain while you're using your arm."

"That's it?"

He leaned back in his chair. "Physically that's it."

"Can you tell me where my parents are?"

He hesitated for a second but then leaned forward with a pained exppression

"I've talked to the cops last night. They told me they found two bodies in the remains of the house."

My heartbeat suddenly felt slower. Two bodies. They found my dead parents.

"But...but they weren't home." I whispered.

A warm hand settled on my own. "That's why the police are still investigating. They are going to run a DNA test to make sure they really found your parents. They would also like to talk with you today. If you want to of course."

"That's fine." I said without even processing the words.

Why didn't I feel sadness? Breaking down in tears felt like the only logical response after hearing my parents died. Even so, here I was not feeling anything besides the doll pain covering my body.

"Does Molly know?"

He shook his head. "Not yet. We thought it was probably that you are with here when we do tell her. Or we can wait on the police to see what they have found out so far."

I hummed in agreement.

"It's okay if you want to cry." The doctor spoke after I was silent for a while.

"I don't think I need to cry." I mumbled.

"It's okay if you don't feel comfortable talking to me but please don't lie to yourself. I understand everything is a lot to process. Is there any family I can call for you?"

His soft tone made my chest heavy. Of course I didn't feel fine but what was I supposed to say? Nothing would bring my parents back. No answers would help me wrap my head around this whole situation.

"No family. The only family I have are my grandparents who live in an retirement home."

"Any friends or someone you trust who you want me to contact?"

I had mutiple friends who i hang with. I even had a boyfriend who counted as someone I trusted.  However both those options were not what I wanted. Before all this had happened I had even planned to break up with my boyfriend. Guess that had to wait a little longer.

The horrible thought that there was no one who could help me right now made me feel trapped. I quickly looked up from the empty floor that I had been staring at. Instead I now looked into a pair of blue eyes.

"When do I get to see my sister?"

He sighed. "June, it's important that you talk to someone if you don't want to talk to me. You need to process everything in a healthy way."

My eyes were starting to water. I didn't need to process anything. I just wanted answers.

"What's going to happen to us now that our parents our gone?" I asked as I looked the doctor in his eyes.

"If the two of you have no family or friends were you can stay I will have to contact a social worker. She will discuss all the options with you."

A tear slipped down my face. This wasn't happening right now. I didn't want to believe that I was suddenly an orphan.

The doctor rubbed his tumb over my hand. "Let's not worry about all that right now. It's important to rest."

I whiped my tears away and nodded.

"Thank you..Uhmm? I'm sorry but I don't think I can remember your name."

"Your can call me Luke or dr Hemmings. Just please don't call me sir because that makes me feel old."

A chuckle escape my troat which immediately turned into a couch. "Luke it is then."

There was a knock om the door causing the both of us to look towards the door. A nurse entered with my breakfast.

She placed it on my nightstand and left the room after she gave the both of us a friendly smile.

"Why don't you eat your breakfast while I check on your sister?"

"Please tell her that I'm doing well. I don't want her to worry."

"I will and I want you to rethink about who I can contact. Talking to someone familiar will help you in your healing process."

I hummed in response as shifted my attention to my food. As soon as the door closed I started eating.