Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Runner

MAHIRU BIT HER LIP AT HEARING THE VOICE OF HER GRANDMOTHER

("I'm afraid that when children are far away from home, they tend to change.")

Sakura Iguchi's stern voice stated through the phone, her tone was cold, contrary to her statement. But Mahiru was used to it now. Somehow she has learned to differentiate the emotions of her grandmother from her statements. Maybe sometimes she deluded herself, but at least she understood her grandmother or something.

She didn't do much after the turn of events in yesterday's breakfast. Yes, she was beyond annoyed with Hatori Sohma, but she avoided further unnecessary emotions. During the dinner and lunch, she just remained silent and ignored the male. Fortunately he was just ignoring her too.

Currently it was the morning of her third day in Kyoto. She had breakfast with the rest of the family an hour ago. After the breakfast she withdrew again to her room while Asahina was somewhere in the estate probably bonding with her father.

Mahiru didn't have anything to do, luckily she had a few books on her phone, lessening her boredom. But her playing time didn't go too long as she received a call from a very familiar number.

Her grandmother.

It was the first time in her Kyoto trip that her grandmother had called. Mahiru usually texted and updated her with whatever was going on in Kyoto. She never expected her grandmother actually calling her though. Sakura Iguchi was never an affectionate grandmother.

And Mahiru had been wrong to assume that their grandmother actually called to say she misses them. Here they were now, her grandmother sternly implying for her to not change her views, possibly about her father.

"Don't worry about me, Oba-san. I'm not going to change just because I'm in my father's place." She reassured her grandmother as she laid down on the bed, wondering how long til her grandmother says something negative about her father.

("It's not you that I worry about, Mahiru. I know you. I was the one who raised you.") Her grandmother fired back.

Mahiru smiled knowingly.

All of the women in their family grew up in the Iguchi Estate, but Mahiru was the only one closely supervised and cared for by their grandmother. After her father left, her grandmother told her that she would be something better than she could ever imagine, that she would live a life full of achievements.So Mahiru followed her.

Mahiru wouldn't be the person she is today if it weren't for her grandmother. (derogatory lol)

("I worry that your younger sister has been acting foolishly.") Her grandmother added.

Mahiru knew exactly what she was talking about.

Afterall, Asahina was the one who requested this spring break getaway. Asahina and Mahiru were pretty close siblings, but the younger had never ever mentioned the desire to see their father again. Mahiru just assumed that they were alike, that they both didn't need their father in their life. But she was wrong.