Chapter 10

Chapter 10
Lost at Sea

Chapter 10Lost at Sea

"YURI'S BACK."

"Oh my god? She is? Since when?"

"Yup. Just recently."

"Are you okay?"

September afternoons were usually busy. Especially now that Mahiru was in her final year in business school. Her months have already been extra busy, but September seems to stand out with the amount of paper and tests due. Normally she would complain and get the work done. But right now, she was thankful for all the busy-ness September has given her. It kept her mind off things that she should address. And that was what she needed for now.

Sitting in the cafe near her university. Mahiru busily typed away in her laptop as Chizuru and Shiina gossip. The three of them were originally doing a paper for Strategic Management, a subject they had to take. The three of them were not done with nor were they close to accomplishing half of the paper. But somehow, the two decided to stop working, order food and just chill out.

While Mahiru continuously worked on her paper.

"Yeah... she isn't living with us. She got herself an apartment. She's gonna be teaching in this Municipal High School in Kaibara."

"Isn't that where Hina is studying, Mahiru?"

But all their chatter fell to deaf ears as Mahiru was too busy typing in her laptop to understand what they were talking about. Even though they were just sitting next to her, Mahiru tried her best to remain focused on the task at hand. So to her, their voices were just like the voices on the back of her head, reminding her of Kei and Hatori.

"Mahiru?" Her attention was finally caught when Chizuru, who was seated in front of her, snapped her fingers in front of Mahiru.

She immediately raised her head from her laptop and looked at the two confusingly.

The two sighed at her reaction, knowing all too well that she wasn't paying attention to anything they had been discussing Mahiru. Though they already know how focused Mahiru gets at work, she usually was able to maintain conversation with them even when she was doing something else. Mahiru was good at multitasking. And they knew just how much attention Mahiru gives everything.

Mahiru was acting off. And they already knew why. That's why the two of them were more worried.

Hearing no answers from her friends and just seeing them give her a worried look, Mahiru gave a small smile and asked, "Come again?"

Shiina was the first one to break out of her daze and answered. "Isn't Hina studying in Kaibara Municipal High School?"

Though Shiina and Asahina lived at the very same place, she didn't know where the girl was studying. She just remembered it not being the same private academy they all used to go to. And it wasn't like she asked the teenager where she studies. That would totally be out of nowhere.