Chapter 19: The Season's Opening Ball

The Season's Opening Ball was the biggest event of the year. It was a most exciting affair in London that attracted the interest of almost every last person. Newly debuted ladies and gentlemen came forward to find their right match. Older ladies and gentlemen, the guardians of the debuting crowd joined to make sure their nets caught the biggest fishes. While the younger clan assembled to cheer on their elders and more than that, watch and learn.

There was hardly anyone who was not excited about this evening, Esther however was of course, always an exception. She hated the system mainly because it glorified the tradition of finding a life partner based on their wealth and lineage.

And the beauty, of course.

The more beautiful your attire, the richer men you attract. The more shining your diamonds, the brighter your future.

The diamonds that sat on Esther's neck were surely one of the brightest ones in the gathering, however, there was hardly any brightness she could see in her near future.

By the time she walked into the grand ballroom, she hadn't yet been able to make up her mind on the dilemma the fake Duke put her in. Florence kept prodding her to smile, asking her the matter of her displeasure but she deemed it better to not say anything. Fortunately, the lights stole her attention from the gloomy subject to the sparkling rows of candles and shining glass chandeliers.

Esther had always been a fan of good light works.

"The lighting is phenomenal!" Florence exclaimed in joy as the two of them walked hand in hand.

"They're beautiful," Esther replied as she stretched her eyes to capture most of the room.

A few steps away, she spotted the Frampton girls standing together giggling as they pointed fingers at various people in the room.

"Are they openly pointing fingers?" Florence cried. Esther breathed heavily in affirmation but looked away, wanting not to be burdened by their judgy looks at the moment.

"Well, we need to stop them or they might invite trouble!"

"Flo, I really do not-"

It was too late for Esther to stop her. Soon Florence was storming toward the Frampton sisters with Esther getting dragged behind her.

The giggling stopped the moment they reached their front. The joy in their eyes was gone as well, replaced by the same distaste from yesterday. Esther was not as hurt anymore however Florence seemed to be a little too slow in catching the hints.

"Julliete, Jennifer, Joyce! How nice to meet you three. Beautiful gowns, especially yours, Joyce!" She exclaimed with joy.

"Why, thank you, Florence," Joyce replied plainly. "Miss Sherborne." She added soon after and stooped a curtsy.

"Oh, you're practising honorifics now." Florence noted, "well, in that case, I too am just as old as Esther so you can go ahead and call me Miss Lewis." She joked gaily.

"Oh, no Florence, it's not about the age, it's rather about the rank and wealth status." Jennifer started explaining unnecessarily, "You see Miss Sherborne is way higher in rank than us however you-"

"That will be enough, Jennifer." Esther cut her off. "You may have learnt the difference of ranks in society, you certainly still need a few lessons on the right way of talking to your elders."

Esther's sharp tone and prickly words were enough to bring blood up to the young girl's cheeks and she went quiet.

"Beautiful dress Miss Sherborne," Jullette noted in an attempt to divert the mood. "You certainly know how to dress up like a Dutchess."