Chapter 31: The Packwood Ball

Esther's jaw dropped as she watched Lord Valentine stride into the room in unexplained haste. He was the last person she was hoping to see in her drawing-room that night and she was barely trying to hide the fact.

"Lord Valentine." She said in a distant voice. 

He registered the crowd of the room and made a soft bow, "Lady Sherbourne, Miss Sherbourne." He said breathlessly completely ignoring Leo Radcliffe and his partner.

"Why, Good Evening, Lord Valentine. Must I admit, I was not expecting to see you today." Lady Sherborne spoke when Esther failed to form words for longer than natural.

"I am aware, Lady Sherbourne. My most sincere apologies for the unannounced visit but I had no alternative. I am here to escort Miss Sherbourne to the dance." He added turning to Esther who was still in a daze with a frown on her forehead. However, that did not stop him from noticing her ethereal beauty. 

She was shining like a pearl in that dark red dress and the equally alluring gloves with a matching diamond-studded velvet choker were making it difficult to focus on the issue.

"The Duke is supposed to escort her," Florence noted abruptly paying no heed to his rank.

"I am extremely sorry to inform you, Miss Sherborne, but His Grace will not be able to escort you today. He, unfortunately, met some last-minute commitments." He replied humbly still looking at Esther, "I shall understand completely if you choose to not accept me as your escort. Please treat me as a mere messenger in that case."

"Alright then," Florence replied for Esther yet again, "Esther can go with us. We do not mind-"

"I shall go with Lord Valentine." Esther cut her off mid-sentence with her eyes stopped somewhere in the air. Reuben studied her expression and it pained him to see her like that so much so that he wanted to refuse to go with her but he couldn't leave her all dressed up like that just to spend the night sitting in her drawing room.

"Esther, you do not have to-" Florence began to express her unsuppressed object only to be cut off by Esther once again as she walked up to Lord Valentine and offered him her hand.

"Let's go now, shall we?" She spoke with a hollow smile and Reuben did not know better than to reciprocate the same as they walked out of the Sherbourne house.

The evening had highly progressed by the time they reached the Packwood ballroom. Music was making a major part of the noise in the hall and the first dance was soon to be announced. 

Esther could not be less interested. 

"What urgent business did he face?" She asked Reuben without making eye contact as they stood on the outskirts of the dance floor. They undebatably were the most uncomfortable and incompatible couple of the evening.

"I am not exactly aware but it seems it was quite unavoidable." He replied sincerely, his eyes just as unfocused as her.

The orchestra tuned up for the evening's first waltz and couples began claiming their positions on the dance floor. The excitement could be seen bubbling in the audience. It was quite obvious how dearly they craved all ball nights to turn into Packwood balls. 

For Esther, it was quite the opposite.

"Is the Duke gone as well?" Esther served Reuben with another question as they stood awkwardly immobile while all others moved around the room.

"Huh?" Reuben muttered in confusion.

"Has he gone alone or has the Duke gone as well? I do not see him around." Esther ran her eyes around the room yet again. Clearly, none of the two Dukes was to be seen, however so wasn't Rebecca Valentine. "Nor do I see your sister." She added.