Chapter 23: The Charming Marquess

Esther was not wrong when she thought her mother would not appreciate her getting the gown wine-drenched but fortunately for her, something more important and worth her attention came in that morning.

A letter from the Marquess of Rosevale.

"I was certain you would grab his attention, my daughter is surely a diamond." She rejoiced rereading the letter yet again.

"What does it say?" Esther was so done attracting the attention of every wealthy man that entered the town, all due to some spilled wine.

For one thing, she certainly was going to keep a distance from wine in future. It surely was extremely unlucky for her.

"You're invited to the Valentine Mansion this afternoon. For a tea party." Lady Sherborne informed with a rosy smile. "It is an apologetic gesture, it says. Pray tell what must he be apologizing for?"

"The wine." Esther stated plainly. "He spilled it."

"Why, my dear. No gentleman spills wine on a Lady's dress deliberately. It must have been a mistake." Lady Sherborne cooed. "You must tell him he's forgiven when you visit."

"Must I?" Esther sighed plopping on the sofa beneath her.

"Of course, you must!"

"Can you not merely write him back?"

"Esther Sherborne! Don't be lazy in your manners." Lady Sherborne reprimanded. "Go ahead. Decide on your clothing. He shall send the carriage after lunchtime."

Esther couldn't imagine why all the royal men felt it right to send her lunch and tea party invites when all she did was try her best to avoid their highly attentions. And fail.

Surely, wine was an extremely bad omen.

She was put in a comfortable yet pretty day dress by Florence after lunch. The Valentine's carriage had already arrived and it was beautiful. The aesthetic dark purple curtains especially pulled Esther's attention when she looked at it from her window. Yet she was the least excited for the visit.

Lady Valentine's arrogant unfriendly face from last night especially discouraged her a lot.

"My word, don't you look gorgeous." Lady Sherborne sighed when Esther walked into the drawing room.

She could not imagine why she was so excited about it. Certainly, she had made her mind long ago on Esther's husband. There was no replacing The Duke for a Marquess.

Her ecstasy made no sense.

"I think I shall leave now, the carriage has been waiting for long." She said with as much brightness as she could manage amidst the dull events that kept pilling up and walked out of the Sherborne residence.

She walked slow steps with her eyes on the ground kicking the little pebbles off the padded pathway that ran across the garden to reach the iron gate when a sharp voice pulled her eyes up.

"Miss Sherborne."

She looked up to find Edward standing right in her front with a floral bouquet in his hand. Tulips. The gesture was well calculated she could see and it did shoot some warmth in her bloodstream but she could not afford such complication at that moment.

If anything, meeting him was the last thing on her wishlist for the afternoon. There was already enough chaos in her head. 

More importantly, she did not want her mother to meet him.

She was not yet sure if Lady Sherborne was aware about his attendance in the Grand Society Ball the previous night but nevertheless, she did not wish to have him standing in her front with his lying face if she could help it.