Chapter 43: The Long Pending Conversation

As the music commenced, couples started twirling around the room however all eyes were pinned on the debutante who was wearing something no woman had ever worn to a dance before. Edward's jacket was too big on her thin, petite frame and it did nothing less than bring her all the attention that should've been dedicated to the bride of the evening.  

Leo, unlike anyone else, of course, was staring at the floor even as they danced while Rebecca tried her best to not look in the direction of Edward and Esther, who on the other hand were just as unaware of their surrounding as one could be. 

The lack of a jacket on Edward had left him to the mercy of his single fabric cotton shirt which was thin enough for the ladies to very conveniently steal glimpses of his chiselled muscles. His heavy muscular arm was on the show even after being fully sleeved and his pants that hugged his arse ever so tightly was nothing less than the subject of the city's next big gossip. 

He was of course, all for the attention and couldn't care less, Esther however was not appreciating any of it at all. 

Each time Edward came closer and locked his hand at her waist she arched her back even further. She could easily crack her spine if this were to go on for long. Fortunately, soon she got used to the sensation and stopped reacting. Her gaze was fixated on a trail of long heavy drapes that lined the fringes of the hall, determined to not acknowledge the presence of her dance partner. 

"For someone who enjoys dancing so immensely, you are awfully quiet." Edward put in an attempt to pull her attention to himself with a cunning set of words.

"You wouldn't know if I enjoy dancing or I don't to be such a fine judge, Your Grace." Esther's reply came with no delay but the dreadful tone of annoyance expressed her disinterest clearly.

"Oh, I would. Of course, I would. I remember your big wide smile from the dance you very generously allowed me on the season's opening ball." Edward reminisced, sounding truly grateful to Esther's disbelief. "Five months, has it been?" 

"I think so, yes." Esther continued to be as dry as ever.

"Funny, is it not? We are supposed to be betrothed for marriage and yet we are only dancing our second dance together when the season is about to end." 

"I suppose it is." 

"I wonder if there are many such couples in the ton." As Edward continued to try and wring her in a conversation, their movements loosened and they started swaying to the music naturally. 

"I can assure you, you are the only one for none of the gentlemen I am sure were so inclined to causing troubles for their ladies so often as you, pardon my words. Your Grace." Esther retorted, now looking straight into his eyes with no sense of guilt or regret. 

"You are cruel, Miss Sherbourne." Edward simply replied with a lopsided grin causing Esther to look away before her lips reciprocated his twitch. 

"That is perhaps one of the most delightful compliments I have ever received." She whispered back. 

"Did I make you blush?" Edward asked in a tease. 

"If you call the reddening of my face caused by sheer annoyance, blush. I think, yes." Esther retorted and sighed, signalling an unspoken end to their conversation. 

They continued dancing for some more silent minutes. Esther let her eyes wander the crowd and stop at Leo and Rebecca. They seemed tired. Their movements were draggy and their faces were very often than not dropping the fixated smile they wore throughout the evening. 

"Miss Sherbourne, did I not as- request," Edward stopped to correct himself immediately, "request you to not address me as 'Your Grace' when there is no one to listen?"