Chapter 27: Misunderstandings

Edward's eyes were following Esther's every movement since the moment they joined the dance floor with different partners, separated by just a few couples in between.

It had been weeks since they last talked to one another. He was amazed how easily they could walk past each other as if they were strangers, but again they were hardly anything more than that.

He thought deeply about the right thing to say to her when they switched partners to finally dance together after such a long time but when she finally reached him his head melted in guilt and he could hardly make words.

"Miss Sherborne." He said nervously to which she merely responded with a distant 'Your Grace' and looked away as if she couldn't wait to move past him.

She didn't look him in the eye for more than a moment but while she did, her eyes blamed him for treachery and betrayal. They were asking him to justify his actions and decisions but were also not willing to listen to his empty justification.

The look in her eyes stung his heart.

She passed by him several times as they switched partners but she only seemed interested in her conversation with Cornelius. He could see him talking to her about what seemed to be a subject of great interest and it horrified him to imagine what it could be. He couldn't imagine what new weeds he was planting in her head for he had clearly already done enough by disclosing his true identity to her and ruining his masquerade.

He was a fool of course to expect his game to continue this long, she was bound to find out. He only wished his own friend did not contribute to the disclosure for the mere fun of it.

He had never wondered what it would be like after she found out the truth but if he ever did, he would have imagined things way worse than mere silent treatment. However, now when he was being punished by one, he could imagine no punishment worse.

Ball nights were happier and filled with laughter when he would spend those with her and time elapsed like anything. He wasn't just pretending to not be the Duke of Dales, he truly was not the Duke of Dales when she was around. He was a common man worthy of smiles and scoffs, love and hate, just for the man he was, irrespective of his rank. She looked at him past his wealth and power and that was the picture of himself he loved the most.

However, now with her knowing the truth, the picture of him in her eyes wasn't just filtered by wealth and power, it was filtered by lies and treachery as well. He could not muster the courage to look into her eyes anymore. He knew not if he would be able to tolerate seeing his reflection in her eyes if he did.

But again, watching Cornelius indulge her in conversations that visibly disturbed her peace was an even more painful sight to witness.

Rebecca before him had his arm coiled tightly with hers as they stood just steps away from Esther and Cornelius while all other couples dispersed. He wanted to not get involved, he wished he could just turn his back and leave but Esther looked disturbed. She seemed violated and despite her choosing to not trust him with her concerns, he couldn't help himself.

He stood firm on his spot hoping their conversation to end but instead Cornelius said something with a nasty smirk that made Esther's face fluster up even further and that was it. Edward pulled his hand off Rebecca's grip and advanced toward them.

His movement made Esther's eyes jerk up to him, her face went denser and she muttered something hurriedly. Edward strode faster towards them however just before he reached the couple, Esther looked at him one last time before rushing off across the hall.

"What was that about?" Edward asked in a haughty tone making Cornelius turn to face him.

"Ahh," Cornelius sighed dramatically as soon as he registered the speaker, "now I see what made her run away like a chicken on slaughter."