Chapter 4

Date: April 9th, 2021 (Friday)

It's been about 30 minutes since Lauren walked out of the house. She's just been sitting on the bench trying to process everything that happened. It was starting to get super dark so she started walking back to the house. When she walked into the house she saw Brett sitting on the couch. She just continued to walk up the stairs glad that he didn't say anything.

When she walked into her room she could see that Owen and Maddie were laying on Maddie's bed together sleeping. She assumed that they tried to stay up waiting for her to get home but ended up falling asleep. She loved that they cared about her but she wishes they wouldn't worry about her so much. Just because she is 11 doesn't mean she can't take care of herself.

Lauren changed into her pajamas and laid down in her bed. She was exhausted so she fell asleep immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: April 10th, 2021 (Saturday)

It was the next day. It was nearing 10 am. Maddie and Owen just woke up but Lauren was still sleeping. There was a knock on the door and then it opened.

"Hey guys, dad is here. He wants to see you," Nathan said and then walked away.

Owen and Maddie climbed out of the bed and walked towards Lauren's bed.

"I will wake her up since you did it yesterday," Owen said.

Owen walked over to Lauren and started to shake her.

"Lauren, you need to get up," Owen said softly.

"Mm no I don't want to," Lauren mumbled but Owen knew what she said.

"No it's time to get up," Owen said this time a little louder.

"No, leave me alone," Lauren said and turned away from Owen.

Owen mentally groaned to himself. She was such a hard person to get up in the mornings.

"Fine. If you don't get up then I'm just going to have to pour cold water on you," Owen said, satisfied with himself knowing that would get her up.

Lauren jumped up and said, "Ok fine I'm up. Happy?"

"Yes. Now, dad is here and wants to see us downstairs," Owen said.

Lauren was not happy. He doesn't like her for some reason and she doesn't like him. Maddie and Owen saw her expression changed. They knew their dad didn't like her but they never knew why.

"But I don't want to see him. He-," Lauren started to say while whining but then immediately stopped herself from saying anything else when Maddie and Owen both gave her a stern look. When they gave her that look it scared her. Even though they were only two years older than her they had more authority than she did.

Owen and Maddie started walking out the door and Lauren just slowly followed behind them. Their father always scared her because even though he never wanted anything to do with Lauren he was so strict on her. Anytime she did anything he didn't approve of he would scold her.

The three of them walked into the living room where their father was waiting for them. Lauren caught a glimpse of her father with a serious look on his face. She started feeling intimidated and scared. She immediately hid behind Owen. Owen could feel Lauren behind him and somehow sensed that she was scared so he grabbed her hand to try and calm her down as best as he could.

"Hey kids, it's been a while. How are you doing?"

"We are doing fine," Owen said briefly. Owen wasn't really happy with his father because he didn't even bother to check in on them the past 3 years but he still respected him since he was his father after all.

Lauren didn't really want to say anything to the man standing in front of her but she somehow got a little bit of courage to ask him an important question.

"When can we go and see mom?" Lauren said quietly peeking out behind Owen. She was super nervous to ask but she wanted to see her mom.

Cameron couldn't hear her because of how quiet she was. "What did you say?"

Lauren didn't want to repeat what she said. It took enough of her courage to say it the first time. She looked up at Owen and Maddie who were looking at her. She gave them the look she always gives them when she is anxious. They got the message.

"She asked when can we go see our mom?" Maddie asked.

"Oh. Well, you have to ask Brett because I can't take you. I have to go to work in about an hour," He said with no emotion in his voice.

"Why don't you guys tell me what you have been up to in the past 3 years," Cameron said looking at the twins.

Lauren got the message even though he didn't say anything. She let go of Owen's hand and walked into the kitchen where Ryan was. Owen and Maddie weren't exactly happy that she walked away but they just let her go.

"Hey, baby sis. What are you doing?" Ryan asked her when she walked into the kitchen.

"I didn't want to talk to dad anymore," She said walking over to where he was sitting.

Ryan could tell that she was upset. He knew that their father didn't like her at all. He is the only one in the family who really understands how bad their relationship is and how it has affected Lauren. Before Lauren and the twins moved away her dad would completely ignore her and she would always go to Ryan upset and would ask him why their father didn't like her. He never knew how to answer that question. He felt bad for her.

"Ah, I understand. So you came in here to hang out with your favorite sibling?" He said, smiling, trying to cheer her up a little bit.

"I don't know about you being my favorite sibling but yeah," She said shrugging. She was now standing right in front of him.

"Oh really? We will see about that," he said, smirking. Before she could even react he grabbed her and started tickling her.

"Ry Stop that tickles," She said and started laughing.

At this point, Maddie and Owen were standing at the doorway since their dad just left to go to work. They were smiling at the sight of their sister laughing.

"Not until you say that I am your favorite sibling," He said with amusement in his voice.

"Ha no never," She said, still laughing and now trying to squirm out of his hold.

"Then I'm not going to stop," Ryan said while continuing to tickle her.

"Ok fine. You are my favorite sibling. Now let me go," She said, giving up.

Ryan finally let her go. She was sitting on his lap trying to catch her breath. Owen and Maddie walked over closer to her.

"Oh really, Lauren? He's your favorite sibling?" Maddie said crossing her arms.

"What about us?" Owen said also crossing his arms.

"Oh umm.. uhhh," She stammered. She had no idea what to say. Three of her older siblings looked at her with raised eyebrows. The only thing that came in mind for her to do was to run so that's what she did. She got up off of Ryan and ran straight into the living room and right into something. She looked up to see what or who it was. Brett.

"Where are you running off to little one?" Brett asked.

"Oh umm well those three in there were putting me in an awkward position so all I could think of was to run so I did. Anyway, are you taking us to go see mom today?" She said.

"Yeah. The hospital just called me to say that she is awake and wanting to see you guys. We will leave in about 15 minutes," he said. She nodded and went upstairs to get ready.