Chapter 6

Date: April 10th, 2021 (Saturday)

While Owen and Lauren were out in the hallway talking Maddie and Lisa had a conversation.

Lisa said to her oldest daughter, "How are you holding up, Maddie?"

"I'm doing ok I guess. I'm just scared. Mom, I don't want to lose you," Maddie said looking at her mom with tears falling.

"Come here, Honey," Lisa said, motioning her hand for Maddie to lay down with her on the bed. Maddie walked over and laid down in the bed and put her head down on her mom's chest.

"It's going to be ok. I will fight this with everything I have and if that isn't enough at least I tried, which is all I can do but just know I'm not going to give up easily. What I need from you and Owen is for you guys to be strong. It's going to be a tough few months for all of us, especially Lauren. I don't know how well she is going to be able to handle seeing me weak and sick. However, Whatever happens, in the end, will happen and it's ultimately out of our control. I love you so much, Maddie," Lisa said while wiping the tears on Maddie's face.

"Don't worry mom, we will be strong for you and Lauren. I love you so much more," Maddie said.

They stayed like that for a few minutes until Lauren and Owen walked back in. Lauren walked on the other side of her mom where Maddie wasn't.

"Mommy, I'm so sorry for walking out. I-" Lauren started to say when Lisa interrupted her.

"Hey, it's ok, Sweetie. Don't worry about it. I understand that this is a lot for you to take in," Lisa said looking at Lauren.

Lauren climbed onto the bed to lay next to her mom. For one she was tired and didn't want to stand anymore and two she wanted to be closer to her mom as much as she could.

"I love you so much, Lauren," Lisa said and kissed the top of Lauren's head.

"I love you more," Lauren said.

They stayed like that for about 10 minutes. Maddie looked over at Lauren to see that she fell asleep. She had gotten up earlier when Lauren laid down next to their mom. She nudged Owen who was sitting next to her on his phone. He looked over at Maddie to see her gesturing to Lauren. When he saw her sleeping he just chuckled to himself. He assumed that she must have gone to bed late last night, which is why she was more exhausted today than usual.

"Let's go tell Brett that he can come in to see mom while you and I go and get something to eat at the cafeteria," Owen whispered to Maddie who just nodded.

_________

Owen and Maddie were in the hospital cafeteria eating sandwiches that they bought when Maddie thought of something.

"Wait Owen, what are we going to do about school? Our school is about 40 minutes from where dad lives and neither of us are old enough to drive yet."

"That's a great question. I honestly have no idea. We should ask dad when we get home."

"Also Owen we need to be strong for mom and Lauren. Mom told me that these next couple of months will be tough and that she will be sick and weak. She isn't sure how Lauren is going to be able to handle it which kind of scares me," Maddie said looking at Owen.

"It scares me too but it's nothing we can't handle together. No matter what happens we are strong and brave so we will be able to get through it," Owen said, trying to reassure her that everything was going to be fine.

They discussed a few other things before they decided to walk back to the room since it was nearing 3 pm and Brett wanted to leave by 3:15.

When they walked into the room they saw that Lauren was awake but still laying on their mom. She still looked exhausted.

"Alright, I think it's time for us to go. Dad is waiting for us at home. He wants us all to have dinner together tonight," Brett said, getting up from where he was sitting.

"No, I don't want to go. I want to stay here with mom," Lauren said with some attitude while also whining. She was tired and a little hungry since all she ate today was a small bowl of cereal. She also didn't want to leave her mom.

Brett was taken back by her statement and attitude but no one else in the room was. They were used to it. Owen, Maddie, and Lisa knew when she was tired she had an attitude and would always whine. They hoped she would grow out of that phase soon, but they had to deal with it until then.

"Sweetie, I'm sorry but you can't stay with me. You have to go back to your dad's house," Lisa said with a soft voice looking at Lauren.

"But I don't want to see him. He doesn't like me. I want to stay here with you," Lauren said with tears in her eyes.

"I know but it's going to be ok. You have Owen and Maddie with you plus your other brothers. It will be fine and you will be able to come and see me tomorrow but for now, you have to go. Ok?"

Lauren didn't think she was going to win this argument so she gave up.

"Ok fine," Lauren said, getting up and walking over to where Owen was standing.

Before the kids walked out Lisa said, "I love you kids. See you tomorrow!"

All of them replied saying that they loved her. As they walked out of the room

Owen knew Lauren was tired so he bent down to her level so he could carry her on his back. He mentally noted to himself that he was going to make her go to bed early tonight.