|| 62.

Utianle

He watched it. Again and again. At my grunt, King muttered an apology, hastily kissed my cheek and inserted an earpiece into my phone. I stared longingly at him, hugging my knees to my chest. He was putting too much attention into that video. I should too but I wanted a break from that part of my life.

I wanted to focus on just us and the baby for now but that didn't seem like it would be happening soon, not with the way he was bent over my phone. My back hit the headboard. Some minutes rolled by but he was still watching it.

"Baby daddy," I cried out as he started for the door without asking if I wanted to come along. I wanted to, I wanted to go wherever he went.

Stalking towards me with eyebrows furrowed and worried eyes roaming my body, he asked, "What's wrong?"

I jutted my lower lip and batted my lashes, then stretched my hands. "Carry me."

The worry evaporated. He chuckled, shaking his head as he squatted by the bed so I could hop on his back. Nibbling on his neck, I locked my legs around his waist, a little too satisfied with myself at his strangled moan when I played with his nipples. He should cherish these moments, we wouldn't get to do this anymore once I grew a bump.

King kicked the door of his guestroom open and sank into the chair, cradling me in his arms. His laptop was on. I watched him email himself the video in my phone and a minute later, his laptop pinged with a notification.

My eyes closed when the video began to play. It had been so long that happened and I thought I was over it. But watching King replay those videos unlocked the memories.

The gunshots echoed in my head and my heart clenched. I could see it behind my closed eyelids. Everything played in slow motion as the man fell to the ground.

Dead.

Dead.

Dead.

Like father, like son, both murderers.

Someone shook me. A force grabbed my shoulders and shook me. I peeled my eyes open and stared into King's fearful ones. He let out a sigh and hugged me.

"You were crying," he said.

I didn't know that. I touched my cheeks. They were wet with my tears. He peered down at me with worry and I tried to laugh it off.

I didn't know that man who was killed. I never allowed myself to think about him but now, I couldn't help wondering about his family. His mother. We both lost a son to the same family. I swiped my cheeks and forced a smile to my lips but King wasn't buying it.

"What is it?" he asked. I shifted on his lap and straddled him. "Baby mama, talk to me."

"When we were in the car, I asked Emma to kiss me," I mumbled. King's eyes widened for the briefest of seconds. This was my first time of talking to him, of fully acknowledging my son was dead and wouldn't be coming. A tiny part of me still felt like this was a dream and the moments before I woke, I could pretend this wasn't real. King's hands found mine. I looked into his eyes. He loved me. "He didn't. He was angry with me because I didn't want him to come to the party. I do-"

A sob caught in my throat and King drew me close. It hurt too much. All those quotes about time healing the pain was a fat lie. Time wouldn't heal it. It was just a reminder of the moments I would spend without my son.

King rubbed circles on my back and my cries quietened. "What are you going to do with the video?" I asked him. We had to discuss it. "I've had it for so long I forgot about it."

"I'm not sure yet, what do you think?"

Lines appeared on his forehead and I smoothed them. "The truth?" I asked. He nodded. "I don't want to have anything to do with them." I palmed my stomach and a ghost of a smile crossed our lips. "I just want to move on with Esther and you and our baby. No good will come out of this."