|| 32.

Utianle

The voices of people at the counter filtered into my ears, causing me to lose focus as my gaze strayed from the man seated across me to them. There was only one available waiter and the small crowd that had gathered before him didn't seem to take note of that. Umoh placed a hand over mine and I managed a small, reassuring smile.

I didn't hear one word of what he just said. His brows rose as if to ask if I was okay and I responded with a nod. My hand slipped from his grasp and onto my laps, my eyes lowered to my wristwatch. Two more hours to the runway show, I couldn't be late.

"Are you coming?" I asked him, placing both of my hands on the white, plastic table that was in abundance here.

He was getting ready to shake his head when I stopped him with a scowl. No more excuses from him. He was absent yesterday and that was fine, the event was boring. Today was all about me and I also wanted King to know I was serious about him staying away from me. He had his chance and he blew it.

"I need a date, it's only for a few hours."

The pained expression on his face had me gearing up for a usual round of disappointment that would be accompanied by my anger. My insides curled in disgust as Umoh avoided my gaze and I contemplated smacking that sorry look off his face. 

I shouldn't have to beg my fiance to attend a runway show with me. Not just any runway, the one where -for the first time- the models would be wearing outfits designed by me. 

Today was special, a big deal for me.

His hands reached for mine, I jerked. "I can't, I am busy, I need to be at the studio."

"Busy. Busy. Busy. That's all I hear from you. Why did you invite me here then?" I bit the inside of my cheeks to keep my voice from going any higher than it already was. "You said you are done with the recording, why do you need to be at the studio?"

A few heads turned to our table and I lowered my voice. "You didn't even ask how the car purchase went, how yesterday's event went, what is wrong with you?"

"Uti-"

"Don't Uti me," I breathed out, baring my teeth at him. My jaw clenched, my muscles tensed and I gulped loudly; enough was enough. "You are always busy, it's one thing or the other with you. You are not the first one to do music and you won't be the last!"

"Uti," he held my eyes with his and I turned my face away, it was eerily similar to the man who wanted me to be his baby mama, "what's all this about? Why are you angry?"

How dare him ask me that? I twisted my head sharply, prepared to launch into a long tirade of all the possible reasons for my outburst. He was always getting away with this: play the victim card and have me apologise, not anymore. I've had enough.

Why would he invite me out for lunch to celebrate the successful recording of his single only to tell me he had to go back to the studio? What studio? The one he was coming from, to do what again?

"Why won't I be angry? It's always about you and your busy lifestyle, you never have time for me. All I hear is studio this, studio that," I paused to take a deep breath. Why was I this angry? Umoh has always been busy, it didn't start today and it only became worse when he got signed. But it never bothered me this much until now. "I'm tired. I can't keep up with you."

Seconds passed without a response from him, the only thing I got was a surprised stare levelled at me. I admit that I wasn't a confrontational person but I had allowed him to get away with too many things. 

Besides, if he was always available, I wouldn't have found myself basking in the attention of Mister be-my-baby mama.

Umoh finally let out a sigh, he stretched out his hands, silently pleading with me to do the same. I took a few seconds before succumbing and his big, soft palms covered mine. He began to draw random shapes on my open palms causing me to erupt in a fit of giggles. Maybe I was being irrational. We were here to celebrate, it wasn't the right time for me to be caught up in my feelings.