|| 72.

Uti

One, King was a horrible dancer. Two, he was very, very overprotective and insanely jealous. I suppressed my laughter when he cocked his head in my direction. The guy in front of me still held a hand out for a dance. I smiled at the guest mainly to provoke King. It was the only way I could get back at him.

From the corner of my eye, King dumped his glass of wine on a nearby table and excused himself from the group with the groom and his best friend. He reached us in no time and wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"Babymama," he whispered loud enough for the guest to hear. My lips were spread in a smile. I loved this big head. "I missed you."

Jealousy. We were together minutes ago.

The man mumbled something under his breath and excused himself. I didn't feel so bad for him because he didn't strike me as a trustworthy person. Come on, who would ask a pregnant woman with a visible bump and a ring for a dance? Only sneaky men.

Music filtered in and out of my ears. People danced around us but he was the only one I wanted to listen and dance with. I turned in King's arms and he scowled. "Really, Uti?" 

"What did I do?" My best baby face was on. I stroked a hand through his beards. "Smile for maami." King laughed. He leaned closer for me to kiss him. "You're so jealous, ehn."

"Ehenehen. Are you not my baby mama?" His nose wrinkled as he searched for the guest who asked me for a dance. "I don't want anybody coming close to you." Placing his hand on my belly, he continued, "I don't know if this is not enough sign. You're off-limits."

"I'm not off-limits oo. Not until I marry."

It took him a second to realise I was joking, then he relaxed. I giggled. With King, it was easy to feel relaxed, like a teen girl falling in love for the first time. I bopped his nose and he smiled. The lights surrounding us caught in his eyes and it felt like staring into a star filled sky. I kissed my man without thinking.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you times one million," he answered.

Holding my hand, we walked back to the dancefloor where his friends were having fun. The DJ switched the song to something more loud and the guests went wild. As the older one, I frowned a little too much when Faith tried to jump in the 'gbe body' style.

My best friend dragged me away from King and started dancing on me. Moving her body this way and that way so she could work, work, work like Rihanna's voice booming from the speakers asked.

"You cannot even smile, Uti. Be doing face like rat." If I was looking like a rat or less beautiful than she was, then it was her fault. Because she made me up. A smile lighted up her face and her finger brushed my nose. "I'm so happy for them." We glanced at the couple cuddled on the dance floor and excitement exploded inside my chest. Soon, that would be me and King. "Can't wait for your turn."

Me too. I couldn't wait to be Mrs Daniels and to spend forever with my zaddy. Left to King, we would have gotten married on Monday but I wanted his mother and stepfather to be present. Faith hugged me without warning. I didn't know why I wrapped my arms around her.

"We won, Uti. We won for Emma."

There were tears in her eyes when she pulled back, she dabbed them carefully so they wouldn't mess up her makeup. I blinked back the tears that gathered in my own eyes. The best thing that happened this month was his confession. Umoh made it so easy. If I was ever thankful for anything, it was for that.

"We did," I whispered. "We won, baby girl."

Faith beamed. She spun me in a circle and pretended to dip me in a courtesy. My heart skipped. I almost rammed my elbow into her sides and she pulled back laughing.