|| 45.

King

Water ran down my naked body, pooled at my feet before disappearing through the drain. The house was quiet except for the sound of water gushing from the overhead shower. I ran my fingers through my wet hair, a part of me wished it was Uti doing that but she was still in the children's room.

After sharing the cake, which she barely ate, she had followed them around, hanging on to every word they said like an estranged mother who just reconciled with her children. I chuckled at the comparison, the way they had manipulated her into letting them stay an hour past their bedtime.

In a way, that was the case, a transition to her original role evoked the amount of joy I never knew possible at the mention of a word. It wasn't the same as in the movies, it was pure, the happiness that radiated off her beautiful face and it made all the extra promises Emma forced out of me worth it.

I had been afraid the little guy would mess things up. We had a tiresome argument on why he would have to start calling his elder sister mummy all of a sudden. The reminder of it alone made my head throb a little, children asked the most complicated questions. Good thing they were susceptible to bribes in the form of promises. All I had to do was hope that would be enough to keep his lips sealed until I proposed.

A groan escaped me as I absent-mindedly pushed the knob to the left, causing the temperature of the water to rise from warm to scalding hot. I adjusted it and my fingers reached for the sponge at the same time slender hands hugged me from behind.

"Thank you," Uti murmured seconds after.

I knew it was her even before she spoke and I smiled. I tried to pry her hands off me, bless my eyes with a vision of her as I mildly scolded her, explained to her for the umpteenth time that she didn't have to keep thanking me for every little thing I did, I was glad to do all those things. But her grip on my shoulder was firm so I let her be.

"Anything for you, Uti," I said instead.

The side of her face was pressed against my back as I stood under the water with my arms at my side, unsure what to say to the gorgeous woman clinging to me. The best part about being with a woman like Uti was that we could stand under the shower for as long as we wanted without her having to bother about her hair smelling or those frivolities other women would worry about.

"This... This is the first time he's saying it," her voice was muffled; strained and my fingers ran over her arm, "the first time we are celebrating Mother's Day since..."

If it was only water trailing down my back or her tears mixed with the water, I couldn't tell because her grip on my shoulder didn't relax. When it finally did, I switched our positions so she was facing me and a proud smile took over my face when she pouted.

Uti had that look on her face, the same look she used to beckon on me and it tugged on my heartstrings. While she always had that look on her face whenever she was with her kids, it was never as intense as the one she gave me this morning before we cut her cake. I loved it. I loved that she looked at me as if I was the only man who could make her happy. I could, I would always try to.

"How come you don't have another name?"

The suddenness of her question caused my thoughts to crash to an abrupt stop. I didn't need any other name, King Daniels sounded just right. I ran my fingers up and down her arms, noting how her pupils dilated slightly and her eyelids lowered. I smiled, loving how the smallest of my touch affected her.

"Are you worried your name won't fit with mine?" I teased and cupped her buttocks, "Utianle Daniels sounds good to me."

She reciprocated my gesture, going on to squeeze my butt cheeks. I closed my eyes briefly, I liked it when she did that. I liked her touch. Starboy did too. I could feel him rousing from the slumber I had tried to put him in once Uti joined me in the shower.