|| 66.

Uti

Abuja was too quiet. I missed the noise and bustle of Calabar. The wrinkled faces, tired eyes and thick air of roadside food. I hid my face in the pillow and his touch came after. I could recognise it anywhere as King's. His hand snuck into my shirt and his fingers danced on my skin. I moaned into the pillow, extra conscious of the other people we had in the house with us.

His lips met the back of my neck and tingles exploded on the spot. I turned around without prompting and claimed his lips. King smirked through the kiss and lifted me into his lap. My hands sliced through the air before settling around his neck.

"Sleep well?" he asked, lips pecking my jaw.

"Yeah. Where's Esther?"

"With her uncles."

Uncles. Butterflies scattered in my belly. I fingered his beards and his lips spread in a grin. Light streamed in through the window behind us, exposing the greenery outside.

The place was beautiful but quiet. I touched my forehead to his and his eyes dimmed. My excitement dwindled as our next location fleeted through my mind. It was important to King to see her but I didn't want to tag along.

"Are you ready?" he asked. I shook my head. He pouted and I traced the curve of his lips that turned up in a frown. "We talked about this. We can't come here without seeing her."

He couldn't but I could. She was his mother, not mine. With that her nasty attitude, I couldn't feel bad for wanting to stay away from her. I could still remember his mother's frown. Her plain disgust when she spied my hands laced with King's. I didn't want another episode of her. King stroked my face with his knuckles and my resolved shattered.

"Fine. Okay. Alright. Yes. If you say so."

He was smiling by the time I finished talking. I got off his lap and changed into something she would approve. A gown designed by me. King was already dressed in grey chinos complimented by a white shirt. He offered me his elbow and I slipped a hand through it.

We stepped into the parlour and stopped. Everyone of King's friends was present. We came together but it had been so long since they all sat in a circle like this, discussing in hushed tones. I knew they were discussing me—or us because they stopped and shifted the moment we walked in.

An unfamiliar emotion dug its claws into my chest when I spotted Samia curled by her father's side. It was Samia's birthday party we were attending. My baby died for a party. I shifted my gaze to the floor before the hate took over me and it became obvious that I partly blamed her for it. It was not her fault.

King steered us the other way to meet his friends. Esther was seated between Junior and Faith with her earpiece plugged in and a tab on her lap. She looked up when I walked further inside and waved at me. I waved back.

"You look pretty, mummy."

Because the earpiece was still plugged in, her voice came off louder than she intended for it to. I smiled. "You look pretty too, Esther."

Everyone's heads turned to me and a chorus of compliments ripped through the air. I returned it with a smile, going to sit on the largest couch. King joined me. I tried to catch his eyes but he was staring hard at Junior and Faith. Faith unplugged Esther's earpiece and whispered something into her ear. Esther froze for a minute, then stood up. She pulled Samia and they scuffled out of sight.

My heart picked up speed. They were up to something I wasn't sure I would like. King took my hand without meeting my gaze. I would not like this but for his sake, I hoped I was wrong. What I wanted from him right now was his support, his presence and his love.