Chapter Nine| The Misfortune In Pregnant Aunties And Lonely Thanksgivings

Chapter Nine- The Misfortune in Pregnant and Lonely Thanksgivings

"Carina Melanie Edwards!" I wince immediately. "You haven't shown up for dinner in three weeks! Where are you? Are you even alive?" Never mind I send her an 'I'm Alive' text every day.

"If you do not come to dinner tonight, then I shall have you beheaded! Hasn't anyone ever told you not to refuse a pregnant lady? I'm fat, I'm hormonal, and I'm horny. Do. Not. Mess. With. Me. If you are not here by six tonight, I will bring dinner to you," there's a pause. "Alright, love you Carrie. Have fun."

The voicemail beeps and the robotic voice gives me my options. I eat my cereal and realize I don't have a choice in whether I'm going or not. I have to. I lie lazily around the apartment, doing laundry, homework and cleaning up, until five where I drag my lazy ass into the shower dressing in dark jeans and a purple shirt with a leather jacket and combat boots.

Aunt Beth wasn't my actual aunt, both my parents are- were. They were only children, but she was the closest thing I had to one. She took me in after my grandma died of a heart attack, one that I probably lead her too, and she practically raised me from that point until June, when I turned 18. She was only twenty when she signed her name on the dotted line of the adoption papers and I hadn't seen her since I was eight. Suddenly, I was the grieving passive-aggressive almost teenager and she was a twenty year old early college graduate with student loans up to her ears and a kid she hadn't seen since she was 12. Then Jason came into the picture.

As yes, Jason. Where to begin... the guy is a total fool and my aunt is way out of his league but he's sweet and nerdy and he's a surgeon, so the make tons of money.

And you know... the saving people's lives thing too.

The day that Beth met Jason was absolutely hysterical.

Three Years Ago

"Aunt Beth, a-are you hung-over?" I ask and she groaned, flipping the visor of her window down and adjusted her sunglasses to block out the sunlight.

"No. Being hung-over requires getting drunk last night. Which I was not!" She insists and I roll my eyes, putting my feet up on the dashboard.

"Y-You're l-lucky I got you off the table before you lost the rest of your un-underwear," I say and she huffs.

"I can't remember that, therefore it did not happen!" She insists but I continue.

"S-sorry I couldn't save your dig-dignity, you lost that when you lost your b-bra." I say.

"Whatever."

"And pants," I add quickly and suddenly the car jerks, colliding with the car in front of us which had stopped suddenly. She throws her arm around my torso protectively and growls at the car that we collided with, jumping out of the car.

"Oh my god!" A blonde haired man exclaims at the damage, running his hand through his already messed up hair. The bags under his eyes were prominent and he was wearing scrubs.

"Hey asshole!" Beth yelled, marching towards him. He looked positively shocked at first. "What the hell did you just do?"

"I-I'm so sorry, ma'am, I'll pay for it, promise. I just... I'm so tired," the poor guy looked near tears.

"Yeah?! And I'm hung-over like a noose! My dignity left with my bra and I am fifteen minutes overdue for my fourth cup of coffee. So you better freaking fix this for I will kick your ass into next week," she snaps and I shake my head, getting out of the car.