Chapter Twenty Two| The Misfortune in All That We Should Have Said

Chapter Twenty Two| The Misfortune In All That We Should Have Said

"Jesus Christ, it's hot." I mutter to myself, for early May it was ridiculously warm. I was wearing high waisted shorts, heels and a crop top that went just under the fairly lenient dress code for school.

My backpack was slung over my shoulder while I slid sunglasses over my eyes to shield myself from the sun. Valentina promised to pick me up for school but as usual, she was late.

"Excuse me?" A voice called to the right of me. I turn around to see a blonde haired girl walking towards me.

"C-can I help you?" I ask, probably just a tourist wondering if you could park here to go to the beach. Mancheston practically lived off the tourists who came here to rent beach houses in the summer.

"Um, you're Carrie Edwards, right?" she asks, almost nervously and I nod in confusion. "I-I, um, knew your brother. Will? I-I. Oh my god, look at you," she covers her mouth as if to suppress her emotions. "The last time I saw you, you were so young. You were like eleven."

"I, um, who are you?" I ask, looking around the parking lot uncomfortably.

"Oh right! Sorry, I don't know if you remember me. I'm Brooklyn Thomas, I went to high school with your brother. W-we dated for about a year," she trailed off and I look at her blonde hair and then it hits me.

"Brookie!" I remember, she was my favorite of Will's girlfriends. She talked to me normally, not like I was stupid and one time she helped me and my mum bake cookies while she was waiting for Will.

Of course, as soon as he came home she banged my brother but we'll ignore that.

"Carrie! Oh my god, you remember me!" She hugs me quickly. "Anyway, I-I, uh, actually have to talk to you about some stuff, do you think we can meet up or something?" She asks and I nod.

"How about for dinner today? We can meet at Delilah's around 6:30?" I suggest and she swallows and nods. It was like she was nervous.

"Okay, I'll see you-"

"Come on, Carrie! We're already late!" Valentina sticks her head out the window and I roll my eyes at her.

"I'll see you then," Brook says and I smile at her, waving as I get into Valentina's car.

"Who was that?" Val asks, the braclets on her arms jingling.

"Just... somebody I used to know."

~-~

I sat on the couch in the living room, with music playing throughout the living room. It was Frank Sinatra, The Way You Look Tonight.

"James!" My mum shrieked when my dad tried to dip her. They were dancing around the living room, waltzing and they acted like they had forgotten the world around them, staring into each other's eyes, completely in love even after all those years of marriage.

"Brook, come dance with me," Will held out his hand to Brooklyn, who shyly accepted it and stood up. We had all dressed in our best attire, with my mum in a lavender gown that went to her ankles. Her blonde hair was curly and her eyes sparkled so brightly with happiness and the hints of an exciting secret.

We had returned from the Sampson's Thanksgiving party and my mum had been mad that dad didn't dance with her so he decided to make it up to her by dancing to their wedding song.

My father was dressed in a suit and tie, his tie matching my mum's dress. He danced my mother around the room, like he was telling her that she was the most beautiful thing ever seen. He held her so delicately, something that an eleven year old me could only dream of being held like.