Chapter Eleven| The Misfourtunes In Snow Storms

Chapter 11~ The misfortunes in snow storms

"And we can expect four to five feet of snow in the coastal area, especially the Riverton/Mancheston parts..." The newscaster droned on as I pack a duffle bag. The doorbell rang and I run to answer only to see Mrs. Finch, the landlady.

"Hey Mrs. Finch, come on in," I say and she steps inside.

"Carrie, dear. I'm sure you got the evacuation notice, the snow looks like it's going to be horrible, and with us being right next to the beach and the high tide, it's too dangerous for me to keep the apartments running," she says and I nod.

"I know, would you like a cup of tea?"

"Oh, that would be lovely dear. Are you going to stay with Valentina?" She asks and I shake my head.

"Val's school took this huge trip, so she isn't there. I'll probably just to the shelters, at the high school or something," I explain and she frowns.

"Well, I'm heading up to my son Richard's home tomorrow, you can come with me, there's plenty of space. They just bought a new home! Oh, it's absolutely lovely..."

It has four bedrooms, three bathrooms, perfect for her grandchildren, of course. I've heard this quite a few times but I think she mistakes me for the other only teenage girls living in the apartments...

Wait! There aren't any, oh well.

"That's lovely Mrs. Finch, cream or sugar?" I ask

"Oh, just some cream dear! Ever since the doctor..."

Told her to cut down on her sugar, she's been drinking it blander than her ex-husband! Oh, not to speak ill of the dead.

I've been through this conversation quite a few times.

"Oh, anyway dear, I'm getting off on a tangent. You are more than welcome to come with me, you know my grandson is about your age, lovely boy..."

You two looked absolutely stunning together, why did you break up again?

"Well, he cheated on me Mrs. Finch," I remind her and she nods in recognition.

"Right, right. Well I assure you his mother and I gave him a good whopping after that incident," she says and I smile.

Well, her grandson Macon was nice, sweet guy and I actually liked him until... he decided that I was too boring for him and he decided to shack up with Mellissa Grant instead of breaking up with, out of fear for the wrath of his grandmother.

"You know, that's alright. I have a friend that I can crash at, he won't mind," I say and she freezes.

"He? Oh, Carrie. Please tell me more," She stood up straighter. Mrs. Finch was a teenage girl at heart, as much of her grandmother exterior, she was a child inside and she was one of the few people around that wouldn't go trading off information for a piece of juicy gossip.

"Well, it's Alec Kendricks-"

"Oh dear! I know him," she chuckles as if remembering something fond and I look at her confused and she elaborates. "When I used to work in the schools, Alec and I got along fondly. He was this genius computer tech wiz; even helped me set up my computer. He used to come to my office and we would sit and talk for hours when his parents were too caught up with his older brother. He helped me out in a pickle multiple times," she explains and I smile.

"That sounds like Alec, cold exterior-"

"Heart of gold underneath. It's horrendous what rumors can do to your personality. His brother is a fine boy too, but he just caught up in all the wrong things," she sips her tea and I chuckle. "So, is he your boyfriend?"